This position works with Global Health leaders to develop and execute the strategy and operational plans to position Global Health Programs to successfully compete for specific opportunities. This includes, but is not limited to, consistently driving for a quality process and product, while building and maintaining an effective business development (BD) system of tools, processes, and capacities across the Division.
The Director will develop new business intelligence, manage the BD pipeline, ensure resources are allocated efficiently, participate in go/no-go decisions, and ensure competitive, compliant and winning proposals are submitted. S/he Director will collaborate internally across the business line, with the SVP and group VPs, as well as externally with clients and partners and is the day-to-day leader on BD.
The Director leads a team of professionals to ensure effective, efficient and quality completion of all tasks from pre-RFA/RFP positioning through proposal submission as well as appropriate handover to the program implementation team upon award. The primary focus is on institutional donors, and larger scale competitive funding opportunities from key donors as well as private foundations and smaller, strategic opportunities based on the 2020-2025 strategic plan for USP.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads a team responsible for capture in coordination with the Director of Partnerships & Growth and proposal management for strategic institutional proposals and other key funding opportunities, including USG, GFATM, European donors, Gates, etc.
- Builds an appropriate pipeline of opportunities with VP, Global Health programs and other key staff.
- Manages business development relationship with technical teams, country teams and Partnerships & Growth team, leading or supporting in the development of funding and donor engagement strategies, the cultivation of an opportunity pipeline, positioning, and opportunity capture.
- Performs rapid assessment of capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses for each opportunity in the regional pipeline and oversee capture team’s development of the company’s win strategy.
- Oversees (and often leads) all aspects of business development and coordinate staff and consultant time as appropriate to ensure strong narrative and cost proposal as well as proposal production and quality control; as appropriate, including drafting sections of proposals and/or full narratives.
- Contributes subject matter expertise to the development and the dissemination of tools and resources as well as donor trends by staying abreast of funding developments, new mechanisms, partner/competitor landscape analysis, ensuring appropriate information is shared across the division and with other divisions as appropriate.
- Establishes appropriate standards for business development and incorporate best practices
- Represents USP as a thought leader at industry, donor and partner events.
- Develops and expands international, regional and local teaming relationships with current and potential partners.
- Effectively advocates and represents USP on teaming negotiations in coordination with VP, Global Health Programs.
- Implements appropriate processes and quarterly analysis of business development/proposal performance, ensuring lessons are collected and shared and that Leadership is provided with key metrics for decision-making.
- Bachelor’s in international development, public health, or other relevant field
- 10 years of relevant work experience in business development with direct USG and other donor market experience with at least 8 years focused on public health
- 5 years of experience managing a new business function/team
- Successful track record of leading new business processes from pre-positioning to award, and winning USG and other donor-funded proposals in several program areas.
- Existing relationships with key donor staff, including but not limited to USAID Missions, Global Fund, CDC, Gates Foundation, etc.
- French language skills preferred
- Masters in relevant field required: international development, public health, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making, teambuilding, and management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new content, adapt to new stakeholders and drive for results
- Senior Manager/Writer
- Business Development Manager
- Partnerships & Business Development Manager
About the Organization
The United States Pharmacopeial (USP) Convention is a non-governmental, nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve global health through public standards and related programs that help ensure the quality, safety, and benefit of medicines and foods.