The Director for Health Information and Digital Health (HIDH) will provide organizational direction and leadership for the development, expansion, and roll out of Jhpiego’s health information and digital health approaches. S(he) will provide oversight for HIDH activities to ensure technical excellence across Jhpiego’s portfolio of HIDH work. The Director for HIDH will represent Jhpiego globally and develop and maintain relationships that grow Jhpiego’s portfolio and strengthen its reputation as a leader in HIDH.
In the context of this position, Jhpiego’s understanding of health information systems is aligned to WHO’s. In this sense, local, district and national health information systems have numerous components and functions, including: data generation, data compilation (which can include data visualization), data analysis and synthesis (both at the local and the composite level), and data transmission, communication and use. The information system supports the processes by which data are timely, relevant, usable and of good quality to enable health related decision-making at multiple levels. Furthermore, Jhpiego’s work in digital health encompasses the use of technology (both mobile and electronic) for improved health worker and health system performance, and processes that enhance the public’s engagement with the health system.
In coordination with the Senior Director for Systems for Health, the Director will define Jhpiego’s strategy for growth in health information systems and digital health in limited-resource environments. The director position requires information systems and technology knowledge, experience in Digital Health implementation in the field, and keen leadership and management skills.
- Lead strategy development (and pursuit of existing Strategic Initiatives) for Jhpiego’s priorities and approaches in health information systems and digital health.
- Drive the conceptualization and development of new HIDH strategies and interventions for Jhpiego.
- Effectively communicate Jhpiego’s strategies and new directions to the Leadership Team and throughout the organization.
- Ensure HIDH strategies and programming are integrated across multiple technical areas to maximize public health impact. Grow Jhpiego’s portfolio of HIDH activities and maximize use of HIDH strategies within existing projects to accelerate achievement of project goals and objectives.
- In collaboration with Monitoring and Evaluation teams, oversee the design, development and implementation of Jhpiego’s approaches for national level health information system strengthening
- Work closely with clients, partners, the Technical Leadership Office (TLO), Innovations, Global Programs Office (GPO) to identify opportunities to improve health systems through the effective use of national health information systems and digital health solutions
- Develop and maintain excellent professional relationships with colleagues, counterparts, and donors worldwide to maximize Jhpiego’s impact, including developing new business opportunities, securing funding, and contributing to positioning, leads development, and proposal design and production related to Health Information and Digital Health.
- Keep leadership and staff informed of HIDH approaches and activities, working closely with the Knowledge Management team to broadly disseminate learning for country, regional and headquarters-based staff
- Motivate, mentor, and supervise the HIDH team of advisors in headquarters and field offices.
- Oversee the development of the HIDH annual workplan and budget; monitor HIDH spending
- Represent Jhpiego at public forums including conferences and meetings
- Cultivate Jhpiego’s relationships with external organizations
- Advanced degree in relevant discipline
- Minimum 15 years progressive experience in leading, managing and advising field implementation for health information strategies and digital health in international health programs
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, with the ability to galvanize support and action within the organization for existing and new strategic directions
- Experience in national health information systems development
- Recent prior experience (within the last 3 years) as information systems or digital health project manager
- Up-to-date knowledge of technologies, methodologies and technology standards and an understanding of the constraints and benefits of different technologies
- Strong knowledge of public health programs and eHealth/mHealth applications or health information systems for these programs
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with counterparts in other agencies and organizations worldwide
- Deep understanding of evolving international health funding priorities, the key players, technical state-of-the-art thinking and priorities, and program development roles and opportunities
- Understanding of sustainability challenges in low and middle-income countries
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building and coordination
- Experience managing a budget
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Experience developing strategic and tactical plans in cooperation with others who represent a wide range of interests and needs
- Strong change management, results oriented and decision making skills
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national programs and technical staff
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple projects/tasks, short deadlines, competing deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Ability to interact with established networks of senior level international health professionals, donors, universities and other partners
- Appreciation for socio-cultural differences in countries, preferably having lived and worked in one or more low resource settings
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage several major activities simultaneously and work in a complex environment with short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Ability to travel up to 20%, primarily to developing countries
- Expertise in any of the following: geographic information systems (GIS), DHIS2, electronic medical record systems, managing open source developer communities
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.