Job DescriptionJob Summary:
The Director, Health Systems Innovation will provide technical leadership and management oversight for FHI 360’s efforts to improve health systems across multiple, related domains. Health systems innovations (HSI) program spans health economics and financing, human resources for health (HRH), science of improvement, innovations in service delivery, and private sector engagement. The Director will spearhead thought leadership, providing insights on best practices in health systems in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), including fragile and post-conflict settings. S/He will be the primary representative for HSI and ensure strong collaboration with US Government and international donors and sponsors, host country governments, and other key stakeholders. S/He will lead and manage teams of various sizes and collaborate with project and research teams to generate new evidence in the field of health systems. S/He will lead business development efforts to maintain and expand HSI programming. Additionally, s/he will coordinate with colleagues within HSI and throughout FHI 360 to ensure that workplans, routine reports and technical deliverables adhere to the highest quality standards and are evidence based. The Director will build the skills and capabilities of staff within HSI and in country-based programs to deliver technically sound programs. S/He may function as a Project Director on moderately complex multi-sector and/or multi-country project.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Provides technical quality oversight for health systems-related awards implemented through country offices.
- Actively works with the colleagues on project and program technical oversight to ensure that they meet or exceed stated goals.
- Provides capacity planning models and identifies potential resource conflicts across HSI programs/projects.
- Engages in business development efforts that align with strategic priorities of FHI 360 – and may serve as a proposal design lead on new opportunities.
- Maintains a robust pipeline of new business opportunities to support and expand the existing HSI programming.
- Collaborates with researchers to generate new evidence to position FHI 360 as a thought leader.
- Fosters innovation and drives adoption of leading practices and provides subject matter expertise to health systems improvement.
- Establishes and facilitates the change management process within and across project to ensure that innovations are integrated into related programs and projects.
- Identifies, documents and communicates inter-project dependencies.
- Maintains an overall governance and understanding of dependencies associated with resources and projects across the program.
- Conducts routine reviews on technical delivery across related projects, documenting, risks and issues and recommendations to mitigate risks.
- Provides relevant metrics and analytics to support business and executive decision making.
- Provides communications to senior management through dashboards and reporting.
- Provides reporting and governance of the program’s financial health.
- Supports performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
- Implements technical capacity development/strengthening for country-based colleagues leading health systems programming.
- Ensures compliance with FHI 360 policies and procedures, donor requirements, and other regulations.
- Serves as a primary point of contact for partners, subcontractors, or vendors, in-country counterparts, and donors.
- Represents FHI 360 on committees, working groups, or other teams, related to health systems innovations.
- Distills accomplishments and lessons learned to inform strategic planning and improved performance across the health systems projects and programs.
- May serve as the project director for a multi-country award, depending on FHI 360 need.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices in health systems and in management, process development and execution.
- Excellent and demonstrated public relations, policy, representation, and diplomacy skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to strategize, plan, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Track history of successfully competing for and acquiring new or continuing business within HSI and related technical fields
- Ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others.
- Ability to build positive local working relationships with local communities, district/state/national government officials, UN and other multilateral bodies and donor representatives.
- Decisions and actions have a significant impact on management and department and area operations.
- Problems encountered are complex and highly varied.
- Exercises judgment to meet strategic business goals and develops objectives and plans that align with and ensure achievement of organizational goals.
- Reports to: Director, Infectious Diseases and Health Systems
- Sets goals, objectives, timelines and budgets for projects and leads division in achieving strategic goals for that program.
- Leads coordination of resources for ongoing projects across functional areas and addresses/resolves project issues.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent relevant to health systems, e.g., health economic, health financing, human resources for health, laboratory strengthening, quality improvement, or related filed.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typically requires a minimum of 10 years with project management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in sector specific or multi-sector project management and implementation.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language.
- Experience operating in challenging environments.
- Experience working in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
Technology to be Used:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 - 25 lbs.
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype/TEAMS, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
About the Organization
About FHI 360: FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Director, Technical