Palladium is a pioneer in innovative financing. We work with donor, government and commercial clients to develop and implement financial strategies, products and programs that generate positive commercial and developmental outcomes. Most of our projects–from health, natural resource management, governance, education and economic growth–imbed in them sustainable approaches that most often include new ways of working with private sector and governments to best leverage resources. We seek to provide financial services to more people, and to include more people in the benefits of participating in the financial services ecosystems worldwide. We have invested our resources in the creation of an Impact Investment Fund, and in the development of new mechanisms, such as Development Impact Bonds.
The Director for Innovative Financing for the Americas will work to develop and expand our knowledge and programs to implement innovative financing solutions for commercial and development opportunities. This person will have the knowledge, drive and experience, to understand the ways in which new or better financial solutions can address existing or potential new initiatives. S/he will work with our executive leadership, our technical staff, and funders, to continue to position Palladium as the leader in this space.
The primary responsibilities of the Director, Innovative Financing, are to:
* Develop new innovative financing initiatives with donors, governments, foundations and financial institutions.
This will include:
* Assessing and articulating Palladium knowledge and capabilities in this space.
* Working with executives and experts to understand where Palladium can provide solutions to address specific opportunities or challenges.
* Working with staff in the Americas Regional Business Partnership in Washington, DC, NYC and worldwide to identify and implement new initiatives, in coordination with other Palladium Partnerships and functional units (Impact Investment, Economic Growth, and Corporate Finance).
* Visiting USAID Missions, Multilateral and Regional Development Organizations, Financial Institutions, Foundations, and Governments most interested in working with Palladium, and leading the development of new initiatives for these potential clients.
* This role is expected to take 60% of the person’s time.
Work with existing projects and initiatives to provide improved technical solutions that involve innovative financing, including the use of blended finance solutions, pay-for-performance, new products such as DIBs, and blended finance approaches.
This will include:
* Working with existing projects, and their staff, to implement leading-edge, context appropriate, financing solutions.
* Conducting short-term technical assignments, as needed.
* Building capacity within Palladium staff to be able to understand and implement appropriate innovative finance solutions.
* Providing technical leadership and quality assurance oversight for the implementation of our Economic Growth projects, including acting as Project Director on individual projects as and when required.
* Directing and leading quality assurance initiatives on all Economic Growth-related projects in order to assess potential improvement measures.
* Working with other practice areas and business units to connect our thinking enabling us to provide more integrated development services and solutions.
* This role is expected to take 20% of the person’s time.
* Development of Palladium capacity and thought leadership in innovative financing.
This will include:
* Identifying opportunities for Palladium to advance the frontier of good practice in this field.
* Building our knowledge base learning from project delivery and coordinating across all our clients to ensure we deliver the best possible solutions and methodologies in our bids and our projects.
* Working with colleagues across the company, Team Leaders, and consultants to develop Palladium’s intellectual property and resources to support effective service delivery across Palladium’s portfolio of work.
* Establishing and facilitating a Community of Practice to share knowledge, tools, resources and experience to enable all staff to keep on top of emerging trends and technical debates and to identify and implement best practice in all that we do.
* Writing thought leadership papers or blogs and making public presentations on Palladium and innovative financing.
* Relevant Master’s degree.
* Total minimum of 12 years of management experience at a senior level including 10 years of experience within international, multilateral- and bilateral-funded Economic Growth programs (e.g. USAID, U.K. Department for International Development, and Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade).
* Deep experience in finance, including working with blended financing in development institutions, equity and impact funds, other financial institutions, and advisory firms.
* Experience and ability to work with executives and experts in Financial Institutions, Donors, and Governments
* Ability and passion for working in a variety of development contexts.
* Substantial experience in either business development, capital raising, and/or developing public-private partnerships.
* Knowledge of existing mechanisms and institutions in this space, including USAID/Development Credit Authority, OPIC, IADB/Multilateral Investment Fund, World Bank, and specialized foundations.
* Ability to develop high-level strategic relationships in an international development environment.
* Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
* Strong writing skills and attention to detail and quality.
* Strong management skills with ability to mentor, coach, lead, develop, and evaluate staff.
* Willingness to travel and work abroad.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.