Requisition ID: req791
Job Title: Director, Institutional Philanthropy & Partnerships
Employment Category: Regular
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The Director of Institutional Philanthropy & Partnerships (IPP) provides focused, internal strategic leadership and management to contribute to the team goal to maximize private institutional support for the IRC. The Director is responsible for the IPP team’s function, administration and partnerships across the IRC, working across departments to ensure effective and efficient processes and coordination with IRC colleagues, representing IPP at a leadership level when needed. The Director will supervise two Associate Directors, and is accountable for the achievement of his/her team’s revenue targets delivered through a varied portfolio of partnership models, including philanthropy, CSR, marketing and cause-linked partnerships, as well as relationships based in the convergence of business and humanitarian interests and objectives from international companies and foundations. The Director will also supervise two team members to execute priorities and ensure team systems and team-wide projects are executed effectively.
The Director reports to the Senior Director of Institutional Philanthropy & Partnerships, and works in collaboration with a broad constituency of IRC functions, including IRC leadership, as well as the larger fundraising team in NY and internationally (currently UK and Germany) to coordinate and strengthen the IRC’s global private sector proposition and maximize the impact of private institutional support.
1 Provide dynamic and effective thought leadership for IPP’s efforts towards increased financial revenue, and other modes of private sector engagement that support impactful delivery of the IRC’s mandate and mission;
2 Lead and support IPP’s efforts by representing the team internally and working with the Sr. Director to develop strategic and effective internal IRC methods and communication to support IPP’s work.
3 Inspire, motivate and challenge his/her team through active mentorship and advising, fostering an environment that supports high quality execution as well as new ideas and innovative approaches to partnership development;
4 When Director-level participation is relevant and appropriate, cultivate and solicit high-level, high-impact partnerships that call for a level of seniority/technical competence;
5 In collaboration with Sr. Director of IPP, conceive and deliver appropriate innovations that keep the IRC’s private sector partnership proposition stand-out and relevant;
6 Support the development and success of a consistent global “one team” approach to the strategic relationship planning, outreach and management for corporations, brands, foundations and other organized groups, towards maximizing the impact of those partnerships in support of the IRC’s mission and mandate, while respecting internal IRC management/reporting structures;
7 In collaboration with Development Department senior managers, contribute to the development and implementation of standards, tools and procedures towards a best-in-class approach to international private sector engagement and fundraising;
8 Lead internally in order to provide assistance and informed professional insight for IRC technical and field teams on matters relating to private institutional support and partnerships;
9 Identify private sector market and partnerships trends and competitive strengths and weaknesses to inform IPP’s and the wider Revenue Department’s, approach to external engagement;
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Director, Institutional Philanthropy & Partnerships
Position directly supervises: 2 Associate Directors; 1 IPP Team Manager, 1 IPP Associate.
Position indirectly supervises: 7 corporate/foundation portfolio teams
Education: Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree a plus.
* 10+ years professional experience leading and building the infrastructure of a complex private sector revenue program;
* Proven successful track record of cultivation, solicitation, and management of high-yield, high-value multi-faceted private sector partnerships with an international focus;
* Significant and meaningful management experience
* International humanitarian aid experience a plus.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
* Ability to guide, lead and motivate a high-performing, complex team
* Ability to define and implement critical near-term and long-term revenue generation strategies concurrently
* Ability to translate broad vision and strategies into specific objectives
* Deep understanding and solid grasp of effective business development and relationship management approaches for private foundations and multi-national corporations
* Experience of complex partnership development and relationship management in a global context; experience of philanthropy, foundation and corporate relations in North America essential
* Strong, persuasive and compelling interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively
* Strong comprehension of actors and trends in the nonprofit and humanitarian sectors
* Strong skills collaborating with multiple and diverse stakeholders across the organization
Exciting, high pressure, conflicting priorities and multiple projects environment; remote evening and weekend work as required; some international and US travel.