Abt Associates seeks an experienced Director, International Human Resources to support the International Development Division in Rockville, Maryland.
Reporting to the CHRO, the Director functions as a key member of the human resources senior leadership team and provides vision and direction to our international division as it relates to workforce planning, talent solutions, performance, engagement, and development. This leader will be responsible for the implementation of people solutions, leadership coaching/advising, organizational effectiveness, and our culture actions, as the company expands and grows that support the strategic direction of the organization. In addition, this role will design/restructuring an international HR platform that provides project-level service supported by HR with a global focus.
The incumbent will oversee various aspects of human resources including business level human resources planning, talent acquisition, performance management, employee relations, retention and engagement, and employee communications.
It is expected that this role will partner with the business to ensure we meet or exceed our collective goals and needs for the business. In addition, the HR leader will manage the daily operational execution of human resources processes and practices to meet the ever-changing and growing demands of the business. In summary, the HR Director will develop and implement effective people and business driven solutions to address organization challenges on a continuous basis.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement human resources strategies, solutions and plans aligned with overall business objectives and strategies
- Develops a global talent strategy for the key leadership roles needed to support the organization’s five year strategic plan and new market expansion.
- Works collaboratively with executive management, line managers, HR team, and other stakeholders to build a culture of excellence and innovation
- Partner with leaders on organizational change initiatives. Provide insight on restructuring or organizational design.
- Lead the globalization of our employment processes & procedures, performance management, and overall employee lifecycle activities to ensure we are operating in an effective global way.
- Resolve complex global employee relations issues (such as harassment and discrimination allegations) in a balanced, fair and objective manner.
- Provide individualized leadership coaching as required, to help drive high performance teams, develop leadership and succession planning, and help create a high performing organization
- Effectively coach leaders in matters related to people, HR processes, employment practices, HR programs, and corresponding impact on the business
- Perform other duties as required to ensure effective operation of the International HRBP areas.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Human Resources professional with 15+ years of progressive human resources/organization development experience; international development industry experience preferred.
- Experience in domestic and international HR business partner roles & operations. Deep and broad understanding of international hiring, employment law, employee relations, compensation, benefits, and training and development
- Ability to effectively envision, develop, and implement new strategies to address business challenges
- Proven ability to improve existing processes and procedures
- Track record for building high performing, highly engaged teams and excellent communication skills
- Record of success building a positive culture and aligning people processes with business requirements
- Ability to influence and build credibility at all levels and establish collaborative working relationships
- Ability to determine and ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Proven ability to handle confidential information and sensitive issues in a professional manner
- Strong business and financial acumen and broad business skills
- Respected leader with strong program management & planning skills
- Excellent consulting, coaching, facilitation and client management skills
- Proficient computer skills – especially Microsoft Suite of applications (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) and HRIS/HRM systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Organization Development, Business, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
- SPHR/GPHR certification is preferred
- Ability to travel at least 30% of the time
- 7 years of supervisory experience
- 15+ years of Human Resources experience with knowledge of HR, hiring, employee relations, compensation, benefits, organizational development, and learning solutions
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com