The Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) project, a USAID-funded global health systems strengthening project, seeks a Communications and Knowledge Management Director to lead external and internal communications and knowledge sharing. The Communications and Knowledge Management Director is responsible for overseeing the development of all project communications materials (i.e., website content, newsletters, briefs, videos, infographics, etc.) and their strategic dissemination to key audiences. The Director is also responsible for implementing the LHSS Knowledge Management Plan. This position manages LHSS’s Communications and Knowledge Management team, engages with project leadership and technical teams, and liaises with Abt’s Creative Services department to develop, edit, and produce communications products for different audiences, including government partners, donors, other USAID-funded projects, and international development organizations. With project leadership, the Communications and Knowledge Management Director will be responsible for designing and implementing the project’s communications and knowledge management strategy. This is a full-time position based in Rockville, MD with remote working in line with latest Abt guidance.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and implement strategic communications campaigns to increase the visibility of the LHSS’s products, learning, and impact to external audiences via multiple communications channels, including social media, webinars, websites, newsletters, USAID platforms, conferences, and country-level outlets.
- Lead the planning and development of high-quality, creative communications materials, such as infographics and videos, while complying with LHSS branding and marking strategy to meet the needs of different audiences.
- Lead the design and implementation of the LHSS Annual Knowledge Management plan in collaboration with the Technical Director, Director for Planning Performance and Learning, and LHSS Senior Technical Advisors.
- Oversee all content development for the project website and ensure content is fresh and accessible. Write and edit content for the website.
- Develop written products synthesizing project work around key themes.
- Monitor Google Analytics to enhance website reach and performance.
- Monitor security of the project website and liaise with IT staff as needed to remediate issues.
- Develop mechanisms to promote and preserve all materials prepared for LHSS country and core activities once LHSS project is completed.
- Support technical activity events, such as final launches of deliverables, podcasts, webinars and workshops.
- Foster country participation – build capacity for in-country knowledge management and dissemination strategies and distill, capture, and package country program learning
- Supervise and mentor Communications and Knowledge Management team.
- Respond to information requests from staff, partners, NGOs, donors, and other organizations.
- Collaborate with Abt Associates International Division and Corporate Communications staff to ensure LHSS products and achievements are communicated via those channels as well.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven track record of developing and implementing successful communications strategies for comparable programs or organizations.
- Knowledge and understanding of USAID programs, branding, and communications style.
- Ability to synthesize complex technical issues and data into language that is accessible and compelling to external audiences.
- Significant experience in international development and/or global health settings.
- Proven writing and editing skills, and ability to understand technical content and translate it into more lay language for a variety of audiences.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, multi-task efficiently, and pay close attention to detail.
- Experience with project close-out planning and strategies preferred.
- Experience with organizing, planning, promoting, and facilitating webinars preferred – Cisco WebEx experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with web content management systems, such as WordPress, and Google analytics, to track and enhance performance.
- Graphic design skills and experience, especially infographic creation, preferred (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, etc).
- Experience in social media management and campaigns, especially Twitter and Facebook.
- Experience with newsletter creation (MailChimp or similar).
- Strong MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Masters or advanced degree preferred in one of the following or related fields: public health, communications, health finance, or international development.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience required, with at least two years of field-based experience in international development/public health strongly preferred.
- Ability and willingness to learn and understand key technical concepts and language related to health finance, health systems, and health governance.
- Excellent interpersonal and written skills.
- Proven staff management experience – direct supervision and working with broad teams.
- Ability to think strategically, set priorities and manage concurrent projects, manage time effectively, exercise independent judgment and assume responsibility for seeing projects through to timely and successful completion.
- Self-motivated; willingness to work independently and as part of a team
- Bachelor degree with 15+ years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.