International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL) across many development sectors.
Job Title: Director, Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) in Global Health, Education and Economic Growth.
Location: Vienna, VA
Reports To: Principal, MERL
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is a managerial, exempt-level position.
IBTCI is seeking an experienced and motivated Director of MERL with expertise in Global Health, Education, or Economic Growth. The position tasks include technical, program management, business development, and thought leadership, with an emphasis on MERL. This position will be based in our Headquarters in Vienna, Virginia. The Director is expected to proactively contribute to the management and ongoing success of IBTCI. (The Director of MERL sectors of focus could change based on company requirements).
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Director will manage one or several MERL projects in subject areas of Global Health, Education, and/ or Economic Growth. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in implementation of projects by providing technical expertise, as well as supporting project teams on management and contractual matters, and supervising one or several team members. The Director is also expected to play active role in identifying project opportunities and developing proposals, and managing relations with IBTCI clients including USAID, MCC, and DoS.
Technical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as technical lead within IBTCI on sector(s) of expertise.
- Serve as Short Term Technical Assistance Expert on prime and subcontract awards.
- Providing technical leadership and/or training in support of projects. May include taking lead on and/or providing guidance and training on one or more of the following:
- Development of MERL plans and processes.
- Design of data collection tools and systems.
- Design of evaluations, assessments, policy studies, sector assessments or similar;
- Collection and analysis of data.
- Synthesis of data in compelling reports, dashboard, presentations or as required by client.
- Carrying out data quality assessments.
Program Management responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Project implementation, management, and project oversight activities, while ensuring highest level of client and corporate satisfaction as per quality, timeliness, cost control, compliance and management.
- Serve in home office based roles such as Project Director and/or Senior Technical Advisor.
- Assume interim role (to fill temporary gaps) of team leadership/ key positions on overseas projects.
- Provide technical oversight and quality assurance for contract implementation. Will oversee technical, logistical, budgetary and operational aspects of contracts (may include management of IDIQs, task orders, etc.).
- Oversee the quarterly/annual project management cycle (including periodic client communications and meetings, LOE and budget tracking/adjustments, etc.).
- Supervise home office and field staff (including Chiefs of Party, Program Associates, etc.), and consultants.
- Facilitate recruitment and hire of consultants and sub-contractors, and oversee purchase order agreements.
- Carry out periodic field visits.
- Ensure submission of high quality, timely reports and deliverables (from staff and consultants) to clients and guarantee the quality of the final output.
- Manage relationships with client, field and U.S. and internationally-based consultants and sub-contractors.
- Carry out qualitative and quantitative analyses, and providing technical assistance and training as needed to support assigned projects.
- May serve as primary US-based point of contact for project’s USG COTR.
- Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas; up to 25% to 35% travel for project implementation or management of business development initiatives.
Business Development responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Initiate and follow through on new business development opportunities and leads through market intelligence, solicitation tracking, and development of external partnerships.
- Lead and contribute to submission of high-quality, competitive and well-written proposals. Typically serving as Technical Lead, Lead Writer and/or Reviewer. Activities may include:
- Bid/no-bid vetting, proposal design, proposal writing (including technical and MEL sections), proposal management, participating in the selection of staff and consultants, and budget development, etc.).
- Represent IBTCI in business development or project implementation meetings with staff, partners or clients.
- Responsible for individual and practice/sub-practice business development and growth targets.
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Represent IBTCI in industry conference and workshops.
- Author white papers or other reports to promote IBTCI intellectual prowess in MERL.
- Provide in-house training to home office and field staff on MEL methodologies and/or sector related subject matters.
- Contribute to development of marketing materials and efforts.
- Attend management meetings and contribute to business plans as needed.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned
- Fifteen (15) years of professional work experience (20 years of professional work experience for candidates with Bachelor’s degree), predominantly in international development or related work.
- Five (5) years of direct experience in monitoring, evaluation, research and/or learning (MERL) activities for foreign assistance work.
- Five (5) yes of project management experience.
- Familiarity with or demonstrated experience in at least two of the following technical areas: Education, Economic Growth and Global Health.
- Expertise in WASH, Education, Land, or Energy.
- Experience in all aspects of the proposal process: capture management, partnering, research, recruitment, writing, etc.
- Expertise in one or more aspects of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and/or learning. May include: design of qualitative and/or quantitative tools, statistical analysis, impact analysis, performance and/or impact evaluation design, data quality assurance, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to be a results oriented, flexible, team player with solid problem solving skills.
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Ability to travel to project implementation sites outside the US for a period of up to 2 weeks at a time.
- Oral and written fluency in English required; working knowledge in another language desirable especially Spanish or French.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience leading teams and/or clients in planning and project design.
- Experience in design and/or delivery of training and technical assistance, incorporating theories of adult learning and participatory methods.
- Experience in/knowledge of data collection tools and processes, to include use of mobile technologies and GIS mapping.
- Technical expertise in behavior change, including but not limited to, the design and evaluation of behavior change projects.
- Experience in/knowledge of Organization Development principles and models. May include USAID’s Human / Institutional Capacity Development (HICD).
- Knowledge of Learning and Adaptive Management principles and models. May include USAID’s Collaboration, Learning and Adapting (CLA).
- Experience working with USAID and MCC strongly preferred.
- Experience with non-USAID donors, including DOS, DOD, and/or other international and domestic government donors preferred.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics or other related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: Domestic and international travel required and may include travel to fragile and/or conflict-prone zones.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. We are an E-Verify Employer. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.