DIRECTOR-MONITORING, EVALUATION AND LEARNING
PROGRAM: O’zbekiston Barkamollik uchun Ta’lim Dasturi/ Uzbekistan Education for Excellence Program (UEEP)
POSITION TITLE: Director-Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (DMEL)
POSITION STATUS: Long-Term Fulltime Position
PLACE OF PERFORMANCE: Tashkent Field Office, Tashkent City, Uzbekistan with travel throughout Uzbekistan
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE: Oct. 1 5, 2020 – Oct. 14, 2021 with possible extension through December, 2023
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Fulltime
The Ministry of Public Education (MPE) in Uzbekistan is committed to an ambitious program of systematic and comprehensive reforms. The country aims to create an education system that can produce graduates with the critical thinking, problem solving, and practical skills that will enable them to succeed. Launched in December 2019, the O’zbekiston Barkamollik uchun Ta’lim Dasturi (Uzbekistan Education for Excellence Program)
is a four-year initiative, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to support the goal of sustainably improving the reading, mathematics, technology, and English skills of students in the country’s public schools.
The Program is implemented by RTI International (RTI) in partnership with Florida State University (FSU) and Mississippi State University (MSU) to provide the expertise and experience needed to help MPE achieve and sustain the anticipated outcomes of the Program. The Program focuses on three main results: (1) improving reading and math outcomes in grades 1–6; (2) supporting information technology instruction for grades 5–11; and (3) improving English language instruction for grades 1-11.
To achieve these results, Program activities will be jointly implemented by the RTI team and MPE and entail:
- Reviewing current teaching practice, standards, and materials
- Developing and refining standards for Uzbek reading, mathematics, information technology, and English
- Updating and piloting revised curricula and instructional resources, shifting to standards-, and competency-based instruction
- Designing and implementing professional development and support activities for teachers and school leaders
- Conducting program and impact evaluation research.
The O’zbekiston Barkamollik uchun Ta’lim Dasturi/Uzbekistan Education for Excellence Program is committed to gender equality, social inclusion, transparency as well as local ownership and sustainability.
The Director-Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning will provide leadership on all things related to Program monitoring, evaluation, learning and communications and will ensure that all Program technical tasks and activities for MEL are accomplished.
Specific Responsibilities include the following:
- Stay abreast of all Program-related matters and stay abreast of state and local matters (e.g., the security, political, socio-economic and other dimensions of the context and other actors’ directions) of relevance and importance to the technical team and the Program overall and share information and insights with the Chief of Party.
- Communicate and collaborate with a range of Program personnel as and when needed, including but not limited to the programmatic staff, staff in functional areas (communications, finance, procurement, operations) and ensure timely, efficient and effective communication.
- Develop, review, revise, pilot and finalize all MELC-related technical products and processes and other relevant technical products.
- Conceptualize and develop materials for workshops and deliver workshop to adult participants and help mentor and coach participants in good language teaching methods.
- Provide leadership for the Program’s research work including documentation of good practices in MELC, desk-based research to identify, locate and acquire relevant materials on MELC, research studies, government decrees and policies, etc.
- Ensure that all materials that are produced and all activities that are undertaken are finished on time and meet RTI quality standards.
- Ensure that Program products and processes are sensitive to gender, social inclusion, conflict, child protection, safety standards and policies, the Uzbek context and environmental protection.
- Ensure that all required and requested M&E data, information and documentation from Program staff are checked for accuracy and quality, correctly named and filed in the correct place in RTI systems and duplicated in hard copy and stored appropriately.
- Ensure that all MEL folders and files for all the data collection tools and data ore well-organized and maintained and data and information are easily accessible and at hand.
- Perform regular audits of data and information to ensure that these are properly documented, accurate and complete and comply with USAID requirements.
- Develop, harmonize, and standardize the application of sound MEL indicators, tools and templates and tracking and reporting systems.
- Develop good quality, grammar and spell-checked
, written content and documents ranging from Annual and Quarterly Reports to brief expository stories, contribute to updating the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP) for submission to USAID annually and compile results from the Program databases and other relevant sources and produce data visualizations.
- Provide ongoing guidance and in-service and on-the-job training to staff on USAID MEL requirements, MEL data collection tools including the online/electronic data collection systems.
- Provide ongoing assistance to any USAID Third-Party Monitors during their M&E activities and provide leadership in the field on behalf of the Director/MEL.
- Organize and undertake frequent trips to Program sites to ensure sound implementation of MELC programming and to verify results reported by staff/vendors and keep the Chief of Party and other senior managers updated on results.
- Oversee and undertake ongoing monitoring tasks and contribute to evaluation of implementation and the improvement of Program implementation.
- Oversee and manage outward-facing communication activities and the development and dissemination of communications products and Program contractual documents.
- Represent the Program in meetings, workshops and conferences, as requested by the Chief of Party and produce an internal report and/or notes.
- Establish and maintain ongoing and day-to-day communication with stakeholders and counterparts and the Program team.
- Assist with oral interpretation during meetings and written interpretation of documents.
- In coordination with the Chief of Party, satisfactorily meditate/resolve any conflicts during the development and implementation of Program tasks and activities.
- Continue to develop professionally in MEL and in other Program areas through reading and participation in online and other forums.
- Be collegial and work as part of a team to support others and to share experiences and expertise.
- Perform other reasonable tasks as required by the Program and as negotiated with the supervisor.
REPORTING AND SUPERVISION
The Director-Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning will report directly to and be supervised by the Chief of Party.
The Director will work collaboratively and closely with all Program team members, and especially with the Program Deputy Chief of Party and communications personnel and the RTI MEL Technical Advisor based in the USA.
The Director will supervise and mentor all MEL Unit personnel.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in statistics, monitoring and evaluation, qualitative and/or quantitative research, development studies, business administration, or other field of study relevant to the tasks within the Job Description. A doctoral degree is preferred.
- 5 years or more of professional experience in Uzbekistan working on Uzbek or international projects, preferably in mid-level or leadership positions. Experience in the education or other social sectors is preferred.
- Near-native level of proficiency in English and native or near-native proficiency in Uzbek and Russian as well.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of and hands-on experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning for programs implemented by Uzbek or international organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to perform a leadership role for MEL and to be proactive and work independently and under tight deadlines for multiple tasks.
- Experience and competence in planning for and carrying out or contributing to field research, monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse set of tasks ranging from Program strategy development and programmatic directions to mundane tasks related to data entry and monitoring.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee, manage and coordinate all MEL aspects of indicator data tracking, data collection, data analysis and reporting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistics, statistical analysis and statistics software.
- Experience in quantitative research studies and methods. Knowledge of qualitative research/research methods is desirable.
- Experience with software including statistical analysis software and qualitative data analysis software such as SPSS, N-vivo, Dedoose, etc., or ability to learn quickly.
- Experience with the use of ICT hardware/equipment for monitoring, evaluation and learning, including use of tablets or ability to learn quickly.
- Demonstrated computer literacy including proficiency in Microsoft applications (especially Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and familiarity with cloud-based computing.
- Experience with data visualizations.
- Demonstrated capacity to plan for and conduct workshops appropriate for adult participants.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, at times with limited supervision, and to manage multiple and diverse demands related to Program activities, to respond to unexpected changes and to handle stress in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a range of stakeholders from the national to the local levels. Experience working with education personnel would be looked on favorably.
- Demonstrated ability to establish productive networks with a wide range of stakeholders including public sector personnel, civil society actors (including local and international civil society organizations), and private sector actors, including successful experience working at the district and school-community levels with individuals and groups.
- Excellent self-management skills and highly organized and responsive with excellent follow-through on assigned tasks.
- Excellent attention to detail including excellent skills in proofreading and editing and formatting.
- Excellent record-keeping and document management skills.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to gender and social inclusion, including working with people from diverse backgrounds. Experience working in different parts of Uzbekistan and an understanding of different cultural norms and mores would be viewed favorably.
- Demonstrated ability to function as part of a team.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Uzbekistan.