TITLE: DIRECTOR OF CAPTURE AND NEW BUSINESS
STATUS: EXEMPT, FULL-TIME
SUPERVISOR: SENIOR DIRECTOR FOR OPERATIONS
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. We are a data driven organization that specializes in informing policy making by delivering focused data-driven evidence-based analysis products and services. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management.
The Director of Capture and New Business will be involved in all areas, and take the lead in selected areas, of the firm’s business development efforts, manage business development tasks, and work to strategically leverage DevTech’s assets across existing client base and develop new clients, with a view to supporting sustainable growth in DevTech’s key business areas.
Reporting to the Senior Director for Operations of DevTech, the Director of Capture and New Business is a key member of the senior management team and an integral member of the firm’s operations. He or she will lead the identification, coordination, and execution of business development, manage business capture teams, and mentor staff. The successful candidate will strengthen and grow DevTech’s client relationships and maintain surveillance on market conditions, emerging opportunities and risks. The Director of Capture and New Business will be experienced at reading the Federal marketplace, ensuring that business development strategic planning is able to meet its marketing and capture needs, while staying within resource budget. In addition, he or she will look for opportunities outside of the Federal marketplace including private sector or other international donors. He or she will lead business development processes and tools, and will ensure the firm maintains strong bid performance, producing proposals that emphasize a strong technical and managerial tradition, and a thorough understanding of the clients’ needs.
1. Leads the identification, planning and implementation of the new business capture process; organizes and coordinates work with BD team; Pipeline and Forecast monitoring of key agencies;
- Oversees DevTech’s new business opportunities tracking systems and capture activities, including identifying opportunities within DevTech’s core areas across existing and new clients;
- Advises and leads on bid/no-bid process, teaming strategy, recruitment, writing, and pricing; including documenting ex-ante go-no go decisions through templates;
- Leads development of new business in existing vehicles, including under ongoing IDIQ’s with USAID, DoS, DoL, and DoD in public financial management, M&E, data services, training, human trafficking, gender, among others; and new vehicles with USAID, DoS, DoL, etc.
- Leads teaming agreement negotiations, identifies potential partners, and helps manage recruitment of senior candidates for key positions;
- Develops proposal writing tools and templates, ensures efficient and scalable production and management of multiple and multi-sized proposals and business opportunities;
- Reviews and maintains bid/no bid criteria matrices, compliance tables, proposal training and onboarding materials, and related business development policy tools;
- Manages the proposal development process, leads proposal teams, helps write and review proposals, and ensures robust compliance checking and quality assurance and control;
- Maintains corporate reporting on business development efforts, including tracking and capture efficiency, and win/loss record, and advises company leadership on the need for surge capacity;
- Analyzes and integrates lessons learned from debriefings on bid wins and losses;
- Manages DevTech’s new business opportunities tracking systems and capture activities for this area of responsibility, including identifying opportunities within DevTech’s core areas across existing and new clients.
2. Leads strategic planning and implementation of the firm’s representation and marketing efforts, including to clients, in industry fora, and at strategic academic and related activities;
- Represents the firm across industry and practice area events, strengthening both the firm’s brand and building new and existing relationships with clients;
- Maintains surveillance on market conditions for competitive pricing and budget development;
- Identifies opportunities to leverage and emphasize DevTech’s technical and strategic assets with a view to developing synergies in business development and growth of new business;
- Identifies risks to business development and tradeoffs to alternative opportunities, with a view to ensuring the firm adapts and grows as new trends emerge across industry and practice areas;
- Manages a strong external branding, including a virtual presence on social media, and leverages the firm’s outputs to maximize the branding value of these assets; oversees production of print and online marketing materials;
- Leverages the academic and industry participation of technical staff for branding and business development.
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum of 8 years of progressively challenging international business development experience, including significant experience with proposal design and negotiations;
- Evidence of strong proposal writing skills;
- Superior organizational and management skills: ability to multi-task; manage teams to deadlines; apply results oriented problem-solving approaches; and collaborate effectively as a team member;
- Skilled in setting priorities, anticipating work requirements, and attention to detail;
- A proven track record of leading, writing and winning USAID awards required; track record on Department of State, Department of Labor, Department of Defense, MCC and other international federal U.S. Government awards is preferred;
- A thorough understanding of USAID, AIDAR and the FAR policies, practices, and contracting and bidding processes;
- Strong management and leadership experience, including proven management of people;
- A thorough knowledge of the development industry, with a wide business development network with international development donors and service providers;
- A technical background in one of DevTech’s international development primary fields, including economic policy, education, monitoring and evaluation, and democracy and governance, highly desired;
- English required; a second language is highly desirable.
About the Organization
NOTE: This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.