The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (Alliance) is at the forefront of efforts to address the negative impacts of cooking with heavily-polluting stoves and fuels, which is a leading cause of household air pollution and a barrier to good health, a healthy environment, and multiple global development goals. The Alliance works with public, private, and non-profit partners to accelerate production, deployment, and use of clean cookstoves and fuels in developing countries. The Alliance has galvanized nearly 2,000 public and private sector organizations globally to help address this critical challenge, leveraging a market-based, systems approach to achieve universal access to clean cooking solutions by 2030.
The Director of Development is responsible for increasing and retaining support from foundations, the private sector, and individual donors, as well as continued engagement with governments and bilateral funds, for both general operating and project-specific goals. The Director manages the pipeline of foundation and corporate support across the Alliance, as well as a personal portfolio of institutional and individual donors, partners, and prospects. S/he works closely with Alliance leadership to identify and develop partnerships, grants, and donations to bring funding, marketing, in-kind contributions, and other assets to the organization. The Director will help facilitate relationships that bring together partners and donors in support of the Alliance’s priority issues, in a manner that also contributes to the Alliance’s self-sufficiency. The Director will be responsible for strategic development, operational management, partnership building, and resource mobilization relationships.
The Director of Development reports to the Senior Director of Global Partnerships and Communications, working closely with Alliance colleagues, and in collaboration with the UN Foundation’s Integrated Development team.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to ensure that Alliance fundraising goals are achieved and align with the Alliance’s mission.
- Manage portfolio and pipeline of major foundation and corporate donors, as well as individual and governmental donors, implementing best practices in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors and partners.
- Implement coordinated research, identification, application, tracking, and reporting processes for Alliance donors and partners, while conducting stewardship and cultivation activities to build, maintain, and strengthen donor relationships.
- Collaborate with leadership and colleagues to lead development, management, and evaluation of Alliance proposal strategy execution, application, review, and tracking, including drafting and submitting compelling proposals/grants.
- Monitor, measure and evaluate progress toward goals and objectives and work with development colleagues to ensure integration, accuracy, and timely reporting to donors.
- Create and maintain systems that promote good working relationships with program staff to ensure clear and timely communication for grant proposal development.
- Work with UNF contracting team to draft partner/donor contracts, agreements and amendments, and with Alliance communications to create and update materials used for marketing to corporate and foundation partners.
- Travel as appropriate to secure and retain partnerships and relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree; masters preferred, and 7-10 years of demonstrated experience in development and fundraising with strong track record of success in corporate, major gift and foundation giving, especially in an international context.
- Ability to cultivate relationships and engagement; have an extensive network of funders that s/he has worked with previously.
- Proven experience navigating and relationship building within complex organizations, including track record of integration across teams.
- Ability to both verbally articulate compelling cases for support and design and write strategic, compelling proposals.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team in a dynamic work environment.
- Keen attention to detail; solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to think strategically and develop short- and long-term development plans and strategies.
- Computer proficiency with databases, spreadsheets, and word processing; Salesforce/Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Willingness to travel (10-20%).
About the Organization
The United Nations Foundation links the UN’s work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women's empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.