Vision for Digital Enablement:
LifeNet International has improved over 9 million patient visits to date with a comprehensive, face-to-face (analog) training and support model which improves health workers’ and managers’ knowledge and implementation of best practices. As a result, participating Christian health facilities in sub-Saharan Africa have successfully doubled the quality of care they provide to patients and improved their financial and administrative management. This model leverages the investments of the local church and saves lives.
While these results are exciting and should be celebrated, we recognize that it is imperative for our future model and approach to wisely incorporate a greater menu of digital tools and methods. This will maximize our efficiency and effectiveness in reaching significantly more facilities and health workers with life-saving training and support. We have already begun this digital enablement process in piecemeal fashion via WhatsApp groups, text messaging, digitation of hard copy training materials, and other digital training and communication methods, but a much more robust strategy is required for long term success.
On our pathway of continuous improvement, the first part of 2020 has been an important inflection point for LifeNet. Faced with new challenges brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, we are embracing a spirit of innovation and seek to capitalize on this moment in time to further develop our model and increase our impact. In short, now is the most opportune moment to intentionally transition to full digital enablement. This transition will position LifeNet to:
• Significantly increase the number of partner healthcare facilities;
• Improve quality of care for millions more, saving and improving more lives;
• Expand our work to include community health workers and referral hospitals; and
• Implement additional digital innovations in the healthcare sector.
The newly created position of Director of Digital Enablement will be instrumental in realizing this new digital vision by creating and implementing a new digital enablement strategy and related plans. The right candidate for this position will be able to quickly toggle between strategic thinking and tactical execution, and will have a strong skill set in project management. He/she will have a strong track record in delivering digital enablement outputs and outcomes.
Director of Digital Enablement Responsibilities:
• Lead the creation and implementation of long-term digital enablement strategy and plans for the organization in collaboration with other senior management teammates. This strategy and related plans will be informed by the attached Vision for Digital Enablement of LifeNet and Partner Healthcare Facilities.
• Lead the implementation of LifeNet’s current COVID-19 communications and training platform (designed by Praekelt’s turn.io) and develop a plan for the transition of this technology and platform for new uses in LifeNet after the COVID-19 response ends.
• Ensure that underpinning capabilities (people, processes, technology and information) are in place to deliver digitally-enabled business efficiency.
• Execute robust vendor search and evaluation processes, make recommendations to the LifeNet executive team and board, and lead implementation across the organization for all software and hardware adopted.
• Closely partner with the LifeNet Medical Director (also a new position) to develop a process for adapting and digitizing LifeNet’s hard copy training materials as well as ensuring the accuracy, efficacy and contextual appropriateness of all digital curricula with a goal of improving healthcare clinician learning and practice.
• In partnership with the Director of M&E, develop strategic plans and set timelines for the development, evaluation and deployment of all digital tools with a goal of strengthening and improving LifeNet’s M&E system and outputs.
• Coordinate closely with field staff and partner healthcare facilities to ensure that all digital tools and materials are accurate and appropriate to the context in which they are used.
• Collaborate regularly with teams in LifeNet field countries to proactively identify challenges/opportunities and develop digitally-enabled solutions in response.
• Lead the development of digital-tools training materials for use with LifeNet and healthcare facility staff that will facilitate the effective implementation of adopted digital platforms and tools.
• Remain current on industry standards, innovations, and new tools—e.g., telehealth, learning tech, electronic health records, etc.—with an emphasis on those that will maximize the impact of LifeNet and its partner facilities.
• Oversee and manage processes related to the delivery and support of digital tools (software and hardware) in the US and field country offices.
• Work closely with field country management teams to ensure compliance with local laws and regulations.
Director of Digital Enablement Requirements:
• Strong track record in a combination of digital/IT and information roles with a focus on digital enablement/transformation, ideally in a healthcare or health systems strengthening organization.
• Ability to demonstrate a strategic and innovative approach to delivery of outputs and outcomes.
• Good understanding of and high level of interest in emerging technologies and their potential uses, especially in the majority world healthcare sector.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; an ability to identify and focus on the issues that matter, to separate the urgent from the important, and to provide clear, cogent and coherent advice on digital enablement issues.
• Proven track record of developing high-performing teams, demonstrating an ability to motivate and lead in a cross-functional, geographically-dispersed, and culturally-diverse environment.
• Proven track record in leading collaboratively by working successfully with others in cross-functional teams to create solutions.
• Relevant experience working in or with developing country organizations, specifically sub-Saharan Africa.
• Professional fluency in English required, French is a plus.
• Successful experience in project management.
• Experience in low-resource healthcare settings a plus.
• Willingness to travel to field countries on a regular basis.
• Alignment with LifeNet’s Christian identity and mission philosophy and sensitivity to LifeNet partners’ religious beliefs and contexts.
Your application must consist of a cover letter, your curriculum vitae/résumé, and contact information for two references. Please submit all applications via email to recruiting@LNinternational.org with the subject: “Director of Digital Enablement.”