AECOM is implementing the Somalia TIS+ Project to promote good governance and community cohesion. USAID/EA’s Somalia Office anticipates that the need for quick impact stabilization activities will continue given the fragile nature of the nascent government and the existence of an insurgency in parts of South Central Somalia. At the same time, Somalia, particularly under the New Deal and the new internationally recognized government, is looking to move from crisis and stabilization to medium and longer-term development. The objectives of this contract are to: 1) Increase confidence in governance based on equitable participation in decision making and management of community assets. 2) Empower community and government representatives to engage with private sector and development actors in a collaborative process for community growth. 3) Increase Somali engagement in creating a more stable future. 4) Support inclusive, sustainable development by reducing gender gaps in stabilization and development.
The Director of Engineering will be responsible for supervising and guiding all engineering activities and personnel, particularly with relation to Pool of In-Kind Activities. The Director of Engineering (DoE) will be based in Mogadishu, Somalia or Nairobi, Kenya Office, depending on program needs, with frequent travel between the two offices. The DoE must have senior-level experience managing and overseeing engineering activities throughout the implementation cycle, including: design, procurement, management, quality assurance/quality control, monitoring and evaluation, close-out and client relations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Institute proven, disciplined systems and engineering processes that: 1) result in a programmatic engineering approach that addresses changing technical, production, and operating environments; 2) are responsive to the needs of the beneficiary; and 3) balance multiple technical and programmatic requirements (for example: design considerations, design constraints, and program budgets).
- Provide Quality Assurance/Quality Control oversight for SOWs, technical specifications, design drawings, BoQs and official estimates for RFPs/RFQs, as well as during the implementation phase to ensure adherence to AECOM standards. In this capacity, recommend corrective actions and redirect efforts to ensure project success.
- Ensure TIS+ is designing construction and small scale infrastructure appropriately and in accordance with international best practices.
- Design, develop, and implement training programs (including tailoring of AECOM training’s) for TIS+ engineering staff on a regular basis to ensure staff: are knowledgeable on specific quality engineering principles and processes; understand the multi-faceted and complicated regulatory requirements of the program; and have regular access to professional development opportunities.
- Serve as the main liaison for and interface regularly with Huduma.
The Director of Engineering reports to the Deputy Chief of Party-Program Implementation (DCOP-PI).
- BSc. degree in Engineering/Science or related field, with at least 12 years of engineering and management experience in international environments, 5 years of which should be with USAID-funded programs.
- Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations (including environmental protocols).
- Significant experience preparing Bills of Quantity (BOQs), RFPs, SOWs, design documents and overseeing the selection process for construction projects.
- Experience managing construction projects from the design phase to the close out/retention period.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Excel and other computer applications.
- In-Kind Grants management experience, including knowledge of community-led programming.
- Experience working in conflict zones, with a preference on Africa/ Somalia projects.
- Strong reporting, writing, analytical, organizational & interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and Somali, both verbally and in writing, to donors, government counterparts and other key stakeholders.
- Work experience in Somalia or within the region.
About the Organization
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.