Abt Associates seeks a qualified Director of Finance & Operations for the anticipated USAID-funded regional project based in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. The project aims to improve long-term detection, treatment, and prevention of Tuberculosis (TB), especially drug resistant tuberculosis (DR-TB) in the region. The project will support new and effective approaches for DR-TB treatment and care, expand outpatient treatment models and related health reform activities, and improve the quality of TB medicine manufacturing and laboratory capacity to ensure high quality. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
The Director of Finance & Operations will lead the financial and operational aspects of the project under the direction of the Chief of Party (COP), and with the support and overall project oversight of the home office Project Director and Finance and Contract Manager.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversees the day-to-day financial and administrative management of the project.
- Directing project administrative and financial staff, maintains and manages field office accounts and cash flow.
- Reviews vouchers and payment requests, and ensures proper back-up documentation required for compliance with Abt Associates policies and procedures and USAID rules and regulations
- Oversees field-based procurement functions of the project covering supplies, services, equipment, and other items in accordance with Abt Associates and USAID rules and regulations.
- Ensures timely payments to staff, consultants, and vendors and institutes approved compliant systems for all financial transactions.
- Calculates and issues payroll; calculates and submits payroll taxes to the proper Zambian authorities; manages or supports registration and tax reporting activities in collaboration with other Abt Associates local entities.
- Maintains complete, accurate and timely financial records in compliance with USAID and Abt Associates policies and procedures; prepares and submits monthly financial reports.
- Manages project bank accounts, oversees staff reconciling monthly accounts and bank statements; submits receipts and invoices to Abt Associates.
- Treasury management, including daily supervision of cash position and accounts and petty cash; Prepares estimates of monthly cash requirements and ensures that funds are efficiently transferred from headquarters to field office and funding is available to support timely payment of all project and operations costs
- Oversees fleet management, ensuring vehicles are properly maintained and drivers are performing their duties.
- Oversees the administration of all project field offices.
- Manages and builds skills of finance and administrative staff; develops operational systems and linkages to technical staff for collaborative achievement of project goals and strategy.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Accounting, Finance or related discipline and 15 years of financial management experience; OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior experience working on USAID-funded projects in finance and administration highly preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and tax requirements in one or more Central Asian country(ies), specifically; Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
- Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations regarding accounting, finance, and procurement
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Good computer skills including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office® applications, particularly Excel
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Professional integrity and discretion in the handling of confidential information and data
- Fluent in English and Russian
Position is contingent upon award.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com