We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director of Finance and Operations for an education project. This position will be based in Cairo, Egypt and is contingent upon award.
This project aims to support the Government of Egypt in strengthening teacher excellence at the primary level through the design and adoption of an effective in-service continuous professional development (CPD) system aimed at enhancing educator knowledge and skills, particularly as they relate to effective curricula delivery. The project will also support the institutionalization of a professional development certification and incentive structure that recruits qualified candidates and promotes professional growth among educators and school leaders, enabling the in-service program to support overall teacher excellence.
The Director of Finance and Operations will be responsible for financial and operational management leadership of the project to ensure quality, timeliness, and efficiency of project set-up, daily operations, and close-out. S/he will manage the financial systems, reporting, and processes of the project to ensure strict adherence to USAID contractual and financial requirements and will be responsible for contractual oversight of sub-awards. The Director of Finance and Operations will be an integral member of the project’s leadership team and will ensure annual workplans are in compliance with FHI 360 and USAID financial requirements. S/he will act as the principal interface with USAID on financial matters.
- Provide leadership to financial and contractual aspects of the project, including general financial management and processes, subaward financial management, and accounting;
- Establish and maintain sound and transparent accounting and fiscal control procedures for financial, subaward, and operations aspects of the project;
- Ensure compliance of financial systems with FHI 360 policies and procedures, USAID rules and regulations, award requirements, and local financial regulations;
- Develop, analyze, and monitor project budgets; monitor and track obligations and expenditures against budgets;
- Advise senior project leadership regularly on financial and agreement-related matters;
- Provide technical assistance, as needed, to local partners on financial compliance and reporting;
- Prepare and submit annual and quarterly financial and accrual reports to USAID;
- Contribute to the development of high-quality work plans, financial reports, and any other reports required by USAID;
- Liaise with internal and external auditors in the review of project financial management;
- Liaise with USAID on financial matters; and
- Supervise other project-based finance and operations staff.
- Master’s degree or higher in accounting, finance, business administration or related field is strongly preferred; or a Bachelor’s accounting degree with 10 years’ experience;
- 7+ years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, including overseeing the finance and operations of equally large and complex projects (preferably USAID-funded);
- Demonstrated experience and skills in developing and managing large budgets of $10 million dollars or larger;
- Experience in the MENA region required; demonstrated experience in Egypt preferred;
- Knowledge in generally-accepted accounting, budgeting, and fiscal control principles;
- Relevant skills in automated accounting software systems and database spreadsheets;
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with staff and partners;
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as they relate to project and program compliance and reporting; familiarity with USG rules and regulations for grants and contracts;
- Experience supervising and mentoring staff;
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, depth and breadth of financial management expertise;
- Relevant computer software skills and familiarity with accounting software (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office);
- Ability to analyze and establish effective and supportive cross-program coordination, organizational procedures, and management systems;
- Must have a demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff;
- Fluency in English and Arabic required.
We offer competitive compensation and a package of exceptional benefits. Please visit the FHI 360 Career Center at http://www.fhi360.org/careers for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an employer with equal opportunity and affirmative action. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status in policies, programs, or activities.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.