Cardno is seeking a Director of Finance and Operations for an anticipated Electrification project in Papua New Guinea.
USAID, as a part of the PNG Electrification Partnership (PEP), aims to increase technical, financial, and organizational capacities of key energy sector institutions to bolster investment and private sector engagement in electrification expansion in Papua New Guinea. The activity will promote energy regulation, develop off-grid electrification models, improve domestic gas utilization, and catalyze private investment for energy projects in PNG.
The Director of Finance and Operations’ primary responsibilities are to ensure strong financial management and adequate internal controls of the program’s funds. This position: manages a team to ensure and implement proper approvals and that contractual documentation are filed appropriately electronically and in hard copy; manages and implements project wide financial, compliance, and contractual controls to mitigate risk; tracks expenditures to ensure spending is in line with field operational budget; and collaborates with program partners and program grants and subcontracting staff to ensure the sound use of grant funding and compliance with financial regulations.
Open to Expats/Third Country Nationals. PNG nationals are encouraged to apply.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Required: Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field; 10+ years experience in finance and operations on a donor-funded project; 5+ years experience in management or senior-level positions on an international donor-funded project.
- Preferred: Previous experience in Papua New Guinea or the Pacific Islands region desired.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Thorough knowledge of USG financial reporting and compliance requirements.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills demonstrated by ability to work both independently and within a team, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail.
- Proven leadership and capacity in negotiation and conflict management.
- Knowledge of and experience with rule of law and international, national, and local legal frameworks that address corruption and their application at national levels.
- Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders in challenging environments.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required.
- Excellent conceptual, verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience working under pressure, multi-tasking, and meeting management deadlines.
- Experience working with a multi-disciplinary team in an office environment.
- Commitment to principles of gender equality, capacity development and anti-corruption.
- Fluency in English required.
- Ability to deal with Ambiguity.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Ability to manage through systems.
- Ability to build and maintain useful and wide-ranging networks of contacts at institution, country or regional level.
- Ability to quickly understand regional/country context and local sensitivities.
- Ability to build and maintain cooperative and productive relationships with an effective range of external contacts.
- Ability to be flexible to changes in working hours where required.
- Ability to negotiate effectively combining logic and reason with interpersonal sensitivity.
- Interpersonal Savvy, Teamwork, Problem Solving, Communications, Process Management/Improvement, Risk Management, Drive for Results, Personal Learning, Functional/Technical Skills.
- Travel requirements: Travel may be required up to 50%.
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10 lbs.
Equal Opportunity statement: Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno’s team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
Visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment - to learn more about Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd.
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.