Reports to: Vice President-Finance and Administration
Reports from: HR Business Partners (Recruitment, Talent Management, and HR Business
The overall objective of the role is to develop, review, advise on and implement the full range of HR strategies, systems, and procedures necessary for supporting the effective people management throughout the American University in Afghanistan (AUAF). The role ensures the AUAF is appropriately structured and that roles (both within the support functions and within Faculty) are appropriately staffed with skilled labor that has appropriate skills and competencies. The role is key in the effective implementation of various HR business processes, Organizational Development (OD) and Change Management interventions. The role ensures effective employee engagement and creation of an appropriate organizational culture within the University.
Further, the role ensures HR practices within the AUAF are in alignment with the USAID and other donor rules and regulations, Afghanistan Labor Law, other relevant laws and the Constitution of Afghanistan.
Key outcomes for the role include:
- Human Resources strategies, policies, and procedures developed and implemented;
- Organizational structure and results-based institutional framework with defined core functions and competencies developed;
- An accountability system that ensures resources (including human capital) are effectively utilized and accounted for transparently;
- Role clarity based on a clear organizational structure with clear reporting relationships; and
- HR Business Processes (Recruitment and Selection, HR Planning, Talent Management and Capacity Development, Performance Management, Records, Employee Relations etc.) properly embedded within the various departments of the AUAF.
- Zero tolerance for non-compliance to USAID and other donor regulations on HR Practices within the AUAF.
- Policy and strategy formulation
- Advises the VP-Finance and Administration on HR policies, systems, and procedures and ensures HR practices are in alignment with USAID and other donor regulations, the Labor Law and other relevant laws and the Constitution of Afghanistan.
- Develops Human Resources policy and strategy frameworks that support the effective recruitment, performance management, capacity development, management of change and labor relations, etc. for approval to the VP-Finance and Administration.
- Develops the overall HR Department work plan in alignment with the AUAF strategy, operational plans, and objectives, and obtain approval from the VP- Finance and Administration.
- Coordination and Systems Implementation and Control
- Establishes efficient and effective Human Resources coordination systems across all AUAF Faculty and support function to create an environment of cooperation, coordination, transparency, cost-effective and efficient service delivery.
- Develops an accountability system that ensures resources (including human capital) are used effectively and accounted for transparently at all levels
- Leads the annual planning process including budgeting and resource mobilization to ensure departmental objectives are attained.
- Leads the monthly planning and budget review process to ensure actual spending is on track with the budget and key program deliverables are being met.
- Develops and oversees control mechanisms that ensure efficient and effective strategic HR implementation of AUAF activities are in line with donor regulations and AUAF strategic plan.
- Compliance, Monitoring, and Evaluation
- Oversees the implementation of AUAF policies, systems and procedures and the President’s directions within the mandate of the HR department
- Ensures quality service provision through the development, review and continuous update of customer service framework for effective and efficient service delivery of functions within the mandate of the HR Department.
- Human Resources Management
- Ensures recruitment of staff is in compliance with AUAF and USAID and other donor procedures and guidelines
- Manages subordinate’s work-plans to ensure their work is in alignment with and in fulfillment of the overall HR Department’s work plan.
- Ensures that the annual performance evaluation of all employees within AUAF is carried out by all concerned managers at high levels of quality, in accordance with the requirements of the University and leading by example.
- Develops and implements capacity building plans for staff that report directly to him/her and coordinates its implementation with VP-Finance and Administration.
- Leads change and reform through encouragement, and motivation of employees within AUAF.
- Reviews, validates and submits HR reports in line with AUAF HR work plans on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis to the VP-Finance and Administration.
- Any other duties:
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by the VP-Finance and Administration in support of overall University’s Human Capital objectives.
Required Qualification and Experience
- Extensive international experience, preferably in a university
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in Human Resources, Social Sciences or related field
- Minimum of 15 years’ relevant experience in a Senior Management Level Capacity
- Extensive experience in the development of HR strategies, policies, and guidelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication English skills.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft applications MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint.
Preferred Qualification and Experience:
- Experience implementing USAID rules and regulations (Federal and AID Acquisition Regulations -FARs and AIDARs) as they relate to the HR function at a Federal Funded University or International Development Organization.
- Demonstrated experience leading strategic HR Management, OD and Change Management processes within fragile contexts (including within Middle East, Asia and Africa).
- Skilled in Microsoft Dynamics application.
- Leadership and Management
- HR Budget development and tracking
- Strategic planning
- Policy development
- Capacity Building
- HR Business Process Development
- ICT Skills
Applicants must submit their resume and cover letter in one document as PDF or MS Word to email@example.com. Please include “Director of Human Resources” in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: All applications must be submitted on or before July 25th, 2018. After reviews of the applicants, interviews for the finalists will be set up.
About the Organization
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2005 and currently offer four undergraduate academic majors and an MBA program. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy and applicants from all ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young and growing dynamic university with a student population of nearly 1,100 and we hope to reach 1,250 students by the fall 2018 academic semester. We have expanded operations to the 75-acre international campus across the street from our original campus. Construction is ongoing for additional classroom and lab buildings to help meet the growing needs of our student population.
The AUAF Administration is seeking a qualified international candidate for a Full-time position of Human Resources Director based in Kabul, Afghanistan.