TechnoServe is currently seeking a M&E expert for the position of Director of Impact to support TechnoServe’s Monitoring and Evaluation team, based in Arlington, VA. The Director of Impact leads TechnoServe’s Impact unit, overseeing the execution of the M&E functions across the organization. To be effective, the Director will engage with staff at all levels of the organization–including the Senior Management Team– and across all geographies and functional units The Director will produce reporting for the Board of Directors as well as for donor communications.
The Director of Impact will supervise a team of up to 10 staff members based both in our headquarters and working remotely.
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. As a nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. With 50 years of proven results, TechnoServe believes in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
- Deepen institutional capacity for robust, reliable M&E (50%)
- Develop and implement a strategy to improve M&E activities at TechnoServe.
- Drive organizational alignment around measurement to ensure transparent and consistent understanding of the roles, responsibilities, and reporting structures that ensure quality M&E.
- Build a strong team of regional MEL officers that can provide guidance and support to project and country MEL staff to meet our organizational standards.
- Set the standards for local MEL staff recruitment, selection and onboarding.
- Identify and ensure development of M&E policies and procedures that ensure consistent application of good practice across the organization while allowing for adaptation as needed according to sector, context and budget.
- Establish standards, models and toolkits for measuring the effectiveness of our interventions, from the design to the final evaluation of our projects, including performance monitoring plans, evaluation models for pilot interventions, qualitative and qualitative monitoring models, and evaluation models that are practical and relevant.
- Create the core systems and tools for new projects to use for data collection, analysis and reporting
- Oversee the development, deployment, and use of appropriate technology, including mobile-based data collection and database technology supporting data management globally.
- Through the team, procure and oversee program evaluations.
- Manage initiatives to continuously refine and improve the Key Performance Indicators that TechnoServe uses to evaluate progress toward its mission, and assess where the organization is having and /or can have the greatest impact to inform strategic planning.
- Oversee the reporting portfolio, manage staff to collect and report on KPIs, provide final approval of annual results, manage the online impact portal and coordinate reporting products with the Communications team
- Be a partner to the senior management team and others as an internal advisor that can help us to interpret the data about where we are achieving impact, and how effectively and efficiently.Lead Corporate Measurement initiative (25%)
- Promote program quality and learning (15%)
- Establish capacity on the team to advise on theories of change and program design frameworks as well as M&E at program design stage, establishing effective and responsive engagements with the program design and technical teams
- Oversee creation and maintenance of project supervision (PSR) tools: Ensure the PSR backend is functioning properly and responsive to field team requests.
- Contribute thought leadership to efforts to revise the PSR tool to better support project oversight, adaptive management efforts, and knowledge exchange.
- Promote a culture of transparent, data-driven decision-making, helping to ensure that project and country teams are making evidence-based decisions with data of the highest possible standards.
- Lead a global learning agenda and promote TechnoServe’s thought-leadership on impact measurement externally (10%)
- Lead a global learning agenda, helping to identify what we know works, what we need to know next to make sure we are in the right direction with respect to our mission, supervising and /or coordinating research efforts around the organization.
- Establish relationships with academics and research partners, to create evidence and knowledge products that expand the knowledge base of the development sector.
- Design and oversee studies on long term impact (i.e., ex post evaluations).
- Identify opportunities and oversee staff undertaking research initiatives
- Proactively participate in events and panels to both influence and learn from the trends and evolving practices in our sector.
We’re looking for someone with integrity and passion about our mission and possesses the following qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in related discipline and minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a geographically dispersed and culturally diverse team, including good interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to straddle the coach/player roles.
- Track record of managing and continuously improving results measurement systems and teams, building on current knowledge of industry good practices.
- Work experience in the international development / economic growth sector outside the U.S. in Latin America and/or SubSaharan Africa, with a preference for knowledge of agriculture, private sector and/or small business development.
- Superior data management, analysis, interpretation and visualization skills.
- Experience managing software and applications, and applications developers, relevant to monitoring and evaluation. Prefer knowledge of some or all of the following: Commcare, Taroworks, SurveyCTO, Tableau, PowerBI and SalesForce.
- Strong oral and written communication, including reports, oral presentations, training and technical/persuasive documents.
- Experience establishing collaborative and productive relationships with evaluators, researchers and academics.
- Ability to work effectively in Spanish, French, and/or Portuguese preferred.
- Formal training in quantitative and qualitative research methods strongly desired.
- Ability to be flexible in the face of evolving priorities, collaborate and problem-solve effectively with a variety of teams and to lead through influence in a multi-cultural environment.
- Willingness and ability to embrace and model TechnoServe’s values of collegiality, integrity, resourcefulness and results.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of time internationally and domestically.
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.