Summary of Role:
IntraHealth International is seeking candidates for the role of Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) for an anticipated five-year, USAID-funded Health Workforce Improvement Program (HWIP) in Ethiopia. This project will work with the Ministry of Health (MOH) at the national and sub-national levels (regional, zonal and woreda), higher educational institutions that provide healthcare education under the Ministry of Education (MOE), and targeted health worker professional associations, to create greater efficiency and self-reliance for delivery of quality health services through qualified health workers. The focus will be on institutional and individual capacity building to improve the quality of pre-service education for priority clinical cadres, improve the competency of clinical health care workers, and build the skills of health human resource managers.
The Director of MEL will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of the program monitoring and evaluation framework and information system to track delivery against targets, outcomes and impacts. S/he will lead the development of holistic approaches to collaborating, learning and adapting (CLA) including data analysis to assess progress, identify areas for improvement and measure program outcomes and impact. S/he will ensure that a robust and adequate data system is in place to enhance the collection, management and analysis of program data and to track and report progress towards achieving results. S/he will guide reporting processes amongst technical staff and consolidate program reports, promote learning and knowledge sharing of best practices and lessons learned. S/he will support all technical staff in MEL functions and will supervise MEL staff and consultants.
This position is contingent upon award and approval by USAID.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development, implementation, and regular revisions to the program’s monitoring and evaluation system/framework including the Activity Monitoring and Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP), indicator targets, and results framework.
- Manage the development and implementation of program assessments, evaluations and research studies, including activities that are part of the Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) Plan.
- Provide direct support and technical assistance to the project team and Ministry of Health stakeholders to develop and use harmonized data capture tools and data analysis plans for reportable indicators at all levels, ensuring timeliness, quality and completeness of service data in line with the national information management systems.
- Organize, compile, write, and submit information, including program results and their analysis, for standard program reports, including the quarterly and annual reports, and respond to requests for data from USAID and other stakeholders.
- Supervise program MEL staff and consultants; provide regular technical support, training, mentoring, and technical updates to MEL and other program staff.
- Ensure data quality and accuracy by conducting regular data quality assessments (DQAs).
- Prepare technical reports, summaries, protocols, qualitative and quantitative analyses based on results in order to assist staff to learn from program data and adapt program activities.
- Oversee the design and implementation of special assessments, studies and operation research required by the project.
- Ensure adequate human subjects protections are in place in data collection protocols.
- Collect and disseminate best practices and lessons learned from the project.
- Prepare routine reports, presentations, brochures, project summary sheets, newsletters, highlights and other publications as required by the project.
- Ensure the continuous monitoring of program progress in close collaboration with Ministry of Health, USAID, and other implementing partners.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline, such as social science, public health, epidemiology, bio-statistics, mathematics, business, or development studies.
- At least seven years of experience designing and implementing MEL activities for complex programs in developing countries.
- A firm command of MEL issues with respect to improvements in quality integrated service and support programs.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing MEL systems that track project performance.
- Demonstrated experience working on MEL and CLA activities within USAID-funded projects.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to measure and interpret the outcomes of program activities, including skills in data management, quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis.
- Proficiency with data collection, management, analysis, and visualization software, including: MS Excel, DHIS2, Open Data Kit, SurveyCTO, SPSS, Stata, R, NVivo, Dedoose, Atlas.ti, ArcGIS.
- Strong writing and organizational skills for monitoring and reporting on program outcomes and impacts; proficiency with MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Publisher.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English language; strong interpersonal skills.
- Stellar candidates from Ethiopia preferred.
About the Organization
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work. Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective. Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1