Director of Operations – Education in South Sudan
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International is recruiting applicants for the position of Director of Operations for an anticipated Education program in South Sudan with the Empowerment & Civic Engagement group. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached position description. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
Applicants should go to www.winrock.org and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing South Sudan Director of Operations byFebruary 4, 2013.
Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
POSITION TITLE: Director of Operations – Education
LOCATION: South Sudan
UNIT: Empowerment & Civic Engagement
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
The Director of Operations will oversee office systems and procedures, logistical and operational systems, and security affairs for an anticipated USAID education program for Winrock International’s Empowerment & Civic Engagement group in South Sudan. Responsibilities include timely completion of program activities within budget, administrative management of contracts and consultants and other programmatic support as requested. Additionally, the Director of Operations will be responsible for the day-to-day security affairs of the project and will be in charge of developing efficient management systems related to logistics and security.
Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
- Assist Chief of Party in organizing and managing all administrative, operational, and logistical aspects of the program;
- Organize staff communications, sharing of schedules and logistical/driving needs;
- Establish and maintain effective system of communications via radio, mobile phone, satellite phone, that supports program implementation and security requirements;
- Oversee transportation services including maintenance of fleet of vehicles (registration, insurance, regular scheduled maintenance, repairs as needed), booking flights, and coordinating efficient movement of staff.
- Coordinate preparation of human resource documents in compliance with local law and Winrock requirements, ensuring that all files are complete for permanent, and temporary staff, and any contract workers;
- Maintain all program property in working condition including servers, computers, generators, furniture, supplies, and vehicles and ensure that inventory system is maintained, with proper labeling and periodic physical inventory taking;
- Identify office space and maintain offices in good condition (physical security structures, plumbing, electricity, etc.)
- Supervise office functions and activities related to procurement, travel, records and filing systems and coordinate with the Finance Manager where necessary;
- Oversee knowledge management systems, internet connectivity, and maintain data bases (i.e. Train Net), contact lists, and other joint program information;
- Supervise Office Assistant and/or other support staff;
- Participate in program analysis, work planning, evaluation, and reporting;
- Represent Winrock International in security-related meetings and be the point of contact for all issues related to project security;
- Compile weekly bullets on security situation and provide recommendations on steps and measures to be established to ensure the safety of project staff and Winrock International property;
- Set up systems and coordinate all preventive and evacuation measures;
- Maintain a list of staff that can be relocated and areas in which they can be relocated;
- Set up systems and guidelines for medical evacuations;
- Develop security drills for all staff and guards;
- Develop Project Emergency Management Plan and update on a quarterly basis for submission to Winrock International Director of Global Security & Emergency Response;
- Manage contracts with security company(ies);
- Train staff on their roles in maintaining secure operational presence in South Sudan.
- Provide internal reporting as needed;
- Perform other duties as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Bachelor degree required, preferably in Office Administration or Logistics
Work Experience: Minimum 5 years progressively responsible experience required, preferably including technical and administrative experience logistical and administrative oversight and support on development projects. Familiarity with security issues of South Sudan. Ability to get tasks completed quickly and efficiently under pressure in complex situations. Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations. Understanding of and interest in education issues in South Sudan.
Skills: Excellent management, communication, and organization skills are essential. Basic computer skills (word-processing, spreadsheets, and databases) are required.
Other: The ability to supervise staff and coordinate with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.