Job Title: Director of Procurement
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Reports to: Vice President of Operations and Administration
No. of position: 1
Vacancy #: AF-Int-08-2020
Position Announcement close date: The position is open until filed
The overall objective of the role is to develop, review, advise on and implement the full range of Procurement and Supply Chain strategies, systems and procedures necessary for supporting the effective procurements and contracting throughout the American University in Afghanistan (AUAF). The role ensures the planning and managing of central procurements and supply chain activities of the University under the direction of the Vice President of Operations and Administration.
Further, the role ensures Procurement/Acquisition practices within the AUAF are in alignment with the USAID and other donor rules and regulations, Afghanistan Laws, other relevant regulations and the Constitution of Afghanistan.
Key outcomes include:
- Procurement strategies, policies and procedures developed, reviewed and implemented;
- Procurement Department structure (Organogram) and results-based institutional framework with defined core functions and competencies developed;
- Accountability system that ensures acquisitions and AUAF resources are effectively utilized and accounted for transparently;
- Procurement Department role clarity based on a clear organizational structure with clear reporting relationships; and
- Bids, Request for Proposals and contracts properly managed within AUAF regulatory and policy frameworks.
- Zero tolerance of non-compliance to USAID and other donor regulations on Procurements/Acquisitions within the AUAF.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Policy and strategy formulation
- Advises the Vice President of Operations and Administration on Procurement/Acquisition policies, systems and procedures and ensures HR practices are in alignment with USAID and other donor regulations, the AUAF frameworks and other relevant regulations and the Constitution of Afghanistan.
- Develops Procurement/Acquisition and Supply Chain strategies, models and policy frameworks that support the effective procurement, supply and consumption of goods and services for approval to the Vice President of Operations and Administration.
- Develops the overall Procurement and supply chain work plan on a yearly basis in alignment to the AUAF strategy, operational plans, and objectives, and obtain approval from the Vice President of Operations and Administration.
- Plans, directs and manages the central procurement and supply chain activities of the AUAF under the direction of the V Vice President of Operations and Administration.
- Designs, implements and oversees product take back or reverse logistics programs to ensure products are recycled, re-used or responsibly disposed.
- Coordination and Systems Implementation and Control
- Establishes efficient and effective acquisitions and supply chain coordination systems across all AUAF Faculty (including Sponsored Programs) and Support functions, to create an environment of cooperation, coordination, transparency, cost-effective and efficient service delivery.
- Develops an accountability system that ensures resources (including human capital) are used effectively and accounted for transparently at all levels
- Leads the annual planning process including budgeting and resource mobilization to ensure departmental objectives are attained.
- Leads the monthly planning and budget review process to ensure actual spending is on track with the budget and key program deliverables are being met.
- Develops and oversees control mechanisms that ensures efficient and effective strategic HR implementation of AUAF activities are in line with donor regulations and AUAF strategic plan.
- Undertakes the tendering, evaluation, placement and monitoring of corporate contracts including the University’s capital purchasing program.
- Ensures acquisition committees are organized, trained and function in line with AUAF and donor regulations.
- Oversees and reviews the development of specifications and terms for formal bids and Requests for Proposals (RFPs), arranges advertising, schedules opening of tenders, responds to queries and ensures process compliance to AUAF and donor regulations.
- Compliance, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Oversees the implementation of AUAF policies, systems and procedures within the mandate of the Procurement department
- Ensures quality service provision through the development, review and continuous update of customer service framework for effective and efficient service delivery of functions within the mandate of the Procurement Department.
- Oversees preferred supplier selection and negotiation of blanket orders purchasing contracts, ensuring compliance to donor and AUAF regulations.
- Reviews, updates, and implements supply chain practices in accordance with existing or new/reviewed AUAF policies, standards, regulations and Laws of Afghanistan.
- Reviews supplier performance matrices, provides feedback and discuss pertinent acquisition issues that impact on supply chain and timely delivery of services with suppliers.
- Human Resources Management
- In liaison with the Director of HR, ensures recruitment of Procurement staff is in compliance with AUAF and USAID and other donor procedures and guidelines
- Manages subordinate’s work-plans to ensure their work is in alignment with and in fulfilment of the overall HR Department’s work plan.
- Ensures that the annual performance evaluation of all employees within the Procurement Department of the AUAF is carried out by all concerned managers at high levels of quality, in accordance to the requirements of the University and leading by example.
- Develops and implements capacity building plans for staff that report directly to him/her and coordinates its implementation with Vice President of Operations and Administration.
- Leads change and reform through encouragement, and motivation of employees within AUAF.
- Reviews, validates and submits Procurement/Acquisition and supply chain reports in line with AUAF Procurement Department work plans on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis to the Vice President of Operations and Administration.
- Any other duties:
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by the Vice President of Operations and Administration in support of overall University’s Procurement and Supply Chain objectives.
Required Qualification and Experience:
- Must have extensive international experience, preferably in a University.
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in Procurement, Social Sciences or related field
- Minimum of 15 years’ relevant experience in a Senior Management Level Capacity.
- Extensive experience in the development of Procurement and Supply Chain strategies, policies, and guidelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication English skills.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft applications MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint.
- Experience dealing with USAID rules and regulations (Federal and AID Acquisition Regulations -FARs and AIDARs) at a Federal Funded University or International Development Organization.
Preferred Qualification and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience leading strategic Acquisition, Supply Chain and Logistics processes within fragile contexts (including within Middle East, Asia and Africa).
- Skilled in Microsoft Dynamics application
- Leadership and Management
- Budget development and tracking
- Strategic planning
- Policy development
- Capacity Building
- Business Process Development
- ICT Skills
Benefits and Environment
This is an exceptional opportunity to work at a recently formed university in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid international health care insurance for international employees.
International faculty and staff live and work on AUAF’s 50-acre main campus or on the 5-acre campus across the street. The AUAF campuses utilize state-of-the art security infrastructure and protocols and are protected by a large professional security corps. Transportation between the adjacent campuses or to approved locations and the airport is by armored, guarded vehicles.
To apply, please send as a single PDF document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org Please, include Vacancy# AF-Int-08-2020 and Job Title “Director of Procurement” in the subject line of the email, otherwise the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are at great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their personal safety and security in Afghanistan.
About the Organization
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The Department of is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Director of Procurement . Rank will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and the needs of the University. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. The job is located in Kabul, Afghanistan.