Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a Research Director with serious experience designing, managing, and analyzing the results from quantitative surveys that involve face-to-face data collection including: public opinion research, consumer insights surveys, political polling, sample design and macroeconomic research. The right candidate will need to bring to the table both a rich experience in sample design, kish grids and related alternatives, questionnaire design, quality control, enumerator training, and statistical analysis as well as a familiarity with how technology can be used to optimize and improve these processes. Perhaps most distinctly, we are looking for someone willing to get in at the ground floor of an extremely fast moving technology startup that understands the need for rapid, iterative cycles of improvement rather than old school high-latency planning and development processes attendant to consulting businesses. We like bright, fast, get-shit-done types comfortable with a global footprint and moving quickly.
This Research Director should have direct experience working in the face-to-face survey market with leading companies (eg Nielsen, GfK, Ipsos, Gallup) and should have direct experience managing data collection, training, and research design in emerging markets particularly.
This role is one of the most important and exciting positions at Native, offering the opportunity to work with a small team to build the future of in-person data collection. You will work closely with our product team, collector operations team, and client services to help us design and implement across all three teams the most appropriate methodologies, training, and support we can offer. Our aim is to be the fastest, most affordable, and highest quality source of human collected data in the world. This role will focus on delivering on quality while managing the tradeoffs with speed and cost.
It’s a big job on a small team. So we’re looking for someone who can deliver cross-functionally in a serious way.
Working at Native in this role will be a unique opportunity for the right person. You will set the global research standards for how we collect data, standardize the methodologies we employ, establish and improve real-time quality control checks, and lead the training for our global fleet of on-demand workers. You will work hand-in-hand with engineers, data scientists and designers to ensure your research standards are integrated into the core technology infrastructure. Then you will work with our global operations teams led by leaders pulled from Uber in Bogotá, London, and Singapore to ensure those standards are efficiently rolled out swiftly and at a truly global scale.
Some key things you’ll be responsible for include:
- Help set Native’s global research POV and supported methodologies
- Design and standardize core methodologies for quantitative research, guide product improvements to achieve it, and develop training materials for rolling it out worldwide
- Collaborate with LATAM, EMEA, APAC regional ops teams to iteratively improve quantitative scoring of collector and entry quality
- Design, author, and contribute to delivering web-based training based upon core methodologies
- Collaborate with Native’s leadership in setting broad strategic objectives for QA/QC
- Engage with customers and the Client Services team to convey research POV
- Assist with proposal development and sales to communicate the kinds of research we support and the underpinning methods, sampling, and training associated with it
- 8+ years of serious, real-world experience developing sampling plans, methods, weights, and training materials for public opinion polling, consumer insights, and/or audience measurement surveys conducted face-to-face
- Experience at a top-tier market research or polling firm (eg Ipsos, Nielsen, GfK, Gallup, Kantar)
- Sound understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of face-to-face data collection and its uses, over data collection methods (phone, sms, web, etc)
- Demonstrated command of core methodologies (eg Randomized HH surveys, Quota Samples, Snowballing, etc) and sampling approaches used in public opinion and/or audience measurement research
- Familiarity with the sampling challenges attendant to developing markets with poor underlying census or demographic data
- PhD or Masters in relevant field (eg statistics, math, survey research, etc)
- Familiarity with sample design for creation of retail panels preferred
- Demonstrated experience with CAPI in F2F survey contexts
- Significant experience with standard statistical packages like SPSS required
- Ability to write SQL queries on large bodies of data preferred
- Fluency in a major foreign language (eg Spanish, Arabic, or French) preferred but not required
- You’re a good communicator, outgoing, and able to confidently present Native in front of very diverse audiences
- Total self-starter who is biased toward execution and willing to own key challenges within a small team
- Willingness to travel (international and domestic)
- Competitive Salary
- Medical benefits
- Decent vacation
- Ground floor of a fast-moving startup with a massive global vision
About the Organization
Native is a technology company that is changing the future of market research by leveraging a global on-demand workforce to deliver hyperlocal market data anywhere, at scale. We do this by linking a global fleet of trained data collectors managed by former Uber operations leads to global businesses that have questions they need answered. They log in, craft questions they want answered, task locals to go collect the data they need, and analyze results in real time. Spanning everything from polling to competitive intelligence to retail prices to counterfeit good detection, we are building the future of data by delivering it on demand. We are where Uber meets Nielsen. Come join us.