Creative is seeking a Director of Strategic Growth & Capture who will be an exceptional contributor to our company’s growth strategy and worldwide impact. You will Identify and qualify a robust pipeline of focused opportunities that align with Creative’s global program and business objectives and serve as entry point for evaluation of new partner opportunities. You will develop and maintain strong U.S. Government (USG) and other donor/client relationships with significant presence in the assigned program areas and lead capture teams to win new business. You will spearhead efforts to ensure Creative is aligned with, and informing, market and client priorities.
You will interface with senior Business Development Leadership, Program Leadership and external partners to develop and implement strategies and plans for successful opportunity capture. You will oversee capture teams and ensure viable win strategies and readiness for proposal. This includes working with the subject matter experts, proposal team, contracts, pricing, and talent acquisition. You will build and strengthen relationships with counterparts in all Practice Areas to promote company collaboration and leverage corporate cross cutting capacity.
Ultimately, you will be responsible for identifying and winning new business development opportunities and expanding growth for an organization whose mission is to make a difference.
Reporting & Supervision:
The position reports to the Senior Vice President of the Division. The position has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Senior Vice President and Senior Director of the Corporate Business Development Division. The position regularly interacts with counterpart BD Directors of other programmatic Divisions, as well.
- Be a main driver of capturing new USG and new and existing international donor government contracts;
- Evaluate business portfolio trends, develop market level strategic studies to support new market entry, expansion, or business model design;
- Leverage professional relationships and market knowledge to Identify and qualify new business opportunities that align to Creative’s target capabilities and development approaches. Specifically, within USAID, Department of State, DFID, OTI, World Bank and other international development funders;
- Conduct client and industry partner visits to understand current and emerging customer needs and requirements. Obtain competitive intelligence and data pertaining to targeted pursuits;
- Direct (and sometimes lead) end-to-end capture and support of other capture-related activities to include proposal solutioning and authoring, developing and implementing formal capture plans, and orchestrating, along with other team members, all capture activities and define capture team resource requirements and costs associated with bids;
- Perform formal, but rapid assessment of corporate/team capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses and develop win themes, differentiators and will coordinate with other capture and corporate support teams (e.g., finance/pricing, marketing, human resources/recruitment);
- Manage the opportunity assessment process recommending bid/no bid decisions;
- Build relationships with key partners, designing and executing a winning proposal strategy;
- Development of cost strategies and phase reviews;
- Review live proposals to ensure win strategies are appropriately executed;
- Maintain responsibility for overseeing ongoing market strategy, and multi-year planning activities; Develop capture plans and shaping initiatives for the pursuit and successful capture of key qualified opportunities.
- Drive the development of long-term growth plans and profitability objectives.
- Establish value-add-teaming strategies and competitively priced-to-win structure sand solutions.
- Identify known, perceived technical risks and avoidance/mitigation strategies; and
- Develop, mentor/train junior BD and Capture Managers within the organization.
Minimum Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in international development or a closely related field;
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in international development, with at least five (5) of those years leading new business development efforts;
- Ability to comprehend and make significant contributions to development and execution of business plans, including marketing strategies and tactics;
- Significant prior experience marketing, capture management, and USAID/Department of State proposal development;
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, influence and manage risk;
- Demonstrated leadership ability and ability to be a team player at all levels;
- Ability to successfully lead solution development and technical proposal volumes for large scale ($20M+), highly strategic, and complex deals;
- Proven ability to conduct competitive assessments;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead complex teams;
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to present to senior level executives as well as represent the company at public service or industry forums. Experience in presenting before technical audiences;
- Business acumen and solid understanding of contracting with federal agencies/entities;
- Ability to interact with high level internal and external personnel; and
- Ability to travel up to 20%.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.