POSITION TITLE: Director Quality Education, Esho Shikhi “Come and Learn” Activity
LOCATION: Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
DEPARTMENT: Civil Society & Education
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party, Esho Shikhi “Come and Learn” Activity
Manage overall education and literacy technical program work and provide expertise on developing teacher training curriculum on learner-centered methods for increasing literacy outcomes in schools in line with Bangladesh Ministry of Primary and Mass Education (MoPME) and Ministry of Education (MoED) policies. S/he will provide technical oversight to teacher trainers in the field and provide guidance to staff and partners in all field offices, implement and monitor technical initiatives, and work with communities, education offices and partners to maximize local capacity. The position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
The Education and Literacy Advisor responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Overall management and implementation of education, literacy and other school strengthening program activities. This includes, but is not limited to: planning and budgeting, human resource management and development, communication and coordination with donor agencies, MoPME, MoED, and other organizations supporting development of education in Bangladesh;
- Provide technical oversight to 6 or more teacher trainings, mentoring staff on the curriculum and learner-centered teaching methods to improve literacy outcomes;
- Ensure coordination of education and school strengthening team activities with all project areas (field management, monitoring and evaluation, grants and operations and security);
- Liaise in a timely and consistent manner with all project directors. In particular, ensure education activities are closely integrated with other project activities, including natural disaster and emergency preparedness activities;
- Engage in regular communication and coordination with the Chief of Party and key home office staff on technical and project management issues;
- Strengthen the technical quality of education programs and the capacity of staff to implement the high quality programs;
- Define strategic direction and ensure high quality education & school strengthening programming, including the annual work planning process; Engage with the MoPME, MoED and development partners to integrate education: formal and alternative education system teacher/facilitator and head teacher training; teacher and learner well-being; School Management Committee (SMC) training, school development planning, material development and other education activities;
- Evaluate programmatic effectiveness and provide technical assessment reports. Responsible for writing project deliverables – Quarterly Reports, Annual Reports, and other technical reports, with input from technical team, for review by WI Home Office and final submission to client.
- Build capacity of education authorities to deliver and sustain good education practices and increase access to underserved groups;
- Strengthen capacity of local NGOs to serve as master trainers for SMC and school-based trainings as well as capacity-building of all levels of MoPME and MoED managers and supervisors;
- Other related responsibilities as may be required to meet project’s technical needs.
- Masters degree in one of the following or related fields: Education, Education Planning, Education Policy, Education Management or other relevant field.
- Minimum of five (5) years field management experience in Southeast Asia, and eight (8) years of experience in development programs. Five years’ experience in developing countries, preferably in Southeast Asia, in the field of Basic Education
- Experience and facility with rapidly changing project designs
- Proven ability to successfully implement multi-faceted education interventions at the community and school level
- Preparation of work plans, budgets and other key project documents. Experience with Do No Harm programming a plus;
- Knowledge and practical experience developing standards for assessment systems, including for student learning outcomes, teacher performance, and school performance;
- Knowledge of USAID project management, evaluation procedures and standards, and requirements
- Knowledge of education policy issues that affect student learning
- Knowledge of all technical and management aspects required to develop reliable and meaningful assessment tools that can inform teacher practice as well as policy direction
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English and Bengali.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in Bangladesh
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Proven ability to manage, supervise and motivate a team of multi-cultural professional staff.
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.