The Director, Social Enterprise Incubator, will report to a ThinkWell Program Director and will lead and manage a social enterprise incubator in Bangladesh. The Director will join one important donor-funded project in Bangladesh, where ThinkWell manages a social enterprise incubator undertaking the ambitious goal of transforming a network of primary health care clinics into a financially sustainable pro-poor social enterprise for quality and affordable health service provision.
The Director brings substantial technical expertise to support program design and execution, recruits and builds technical talent within the firm, and supervises technical project staff. The Director provides technical leadership and is responsible for ensuring high-quality technical project execution while playing a leading role overall in the firm.
This role has the potential to also serve as the Country Director for ThinkWell.
This position is based in Dhaka, Bangladesh and open to Bangladeshi nationals only.
What You’ll Do:
Technical Program Quality and Leadership
- The Director will provide leadership to manage all aspects of the Social Enterprise Incubator ensuring coordination of its activities with all key stakeholders and clinic management with accountability for incubator operations and performance against activity objectives
- Ensure the systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge in all activity design, implementation, and monitoring to advance universal health coverage in Bangladesh
- Will ensure that operations of the Social Enterprise Incubator remain flexible and responsive to the emerging needs of the clinic network and coordinate technical assistance to support these needs
- Engage potential private sector, business, and corporate leaders to advocate for funds to support health service provision for the poor
- Design and execute business strategic initiatives to improve revenue growth and financial sustainability of the clinic network
- Lead analysis of financial data and present findings to key stakeholders including management, donor client, and the Board.
- Lead design of market studies, development of business cases, creation of business plan, etc.
- Provide direct technical support to ensure high quality program results and execution across projects in the area of specialization
- Ensure program quality in all projects related to technical specialty: produce high-quality analytical briefs and presentation decks, provide written input on technical documents and proposals, engage proactively in monitoring, evaluating and directing technical aspects of project in progress.
- Communicate with other ThinkWell project managers globally to build, share, exchange and disseminate technical knowledge
- Play a firm-wide leadership role, building intellectual and human capital in technical area of specialization.
- Recruit, support and mentor outstanding team members in the area of technical specialty
- Collaborate with the Well to design technical training and development activities that will support and build professional development.
- Other duties as arise.
- Present regularly to key stakeholders including management, donor client, and the Board on project-related technical innovations, priorities and results.
- Consult and coordinate with key stakeholders within government, donors, and other entities to achieve project results.
New Business Development
- Build project portfolio in technical specialty area in collaboration with Design Lab, program managers and other firm and country leaders.
- Collaborate with Design Lab to collect and pursue new business information and contacts
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- Graduate degree in business, economics, finance, public health, or related field and 12+ yrs exp;
- Substantive, relevant work experience in the specific area of technical expertise. (e.g., social enterprise, health provider network, private sector, etc.);
- Experience in business development and revenue generation, such as management/strategic consulting, investment banking, private equity/venture capital, or strategic marketing;
- Creative technical approach that pushes boundaries with an understanding of how to navigate relationships and advocate for bold ideas that challenge conventional wisdom within complex environments;
- Comfortable working with a diverse range of donors, including the Bangladeshi government, international governments, private sector investors, and large businesses;
- Understand how to leverage partnership to advocate for bold, meaningful ideas within complex policy and regulatory environments to meet activity objectives and service delivery needs of the Bangladeshi people;
- Experience in the leveraging of resources from the private and public sector;
- Adept at communicating technical information to non-technical audiences;
- Strong skills in managing client expectations and delivering to meet client needs;
- Ability to represent ThinkWell convincingly and credibly;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with team members in a multi-cultural environment, and based in various locations;
- Ability to prepare high-quality technical reports, briefing materials and presentations;
- Extensive experience collaboratively managing teams and delivering strong results;
- Demonstrated interest and ability in growing staff, mentoring and coaching junior professionals;
- A senior leader, able to rally staff around ThinkWell’s mission and priorities;
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work;
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with external strategic partners, donors, and stakeholders;
- New business development, proposal writing and fundraising experience;
- Full English and Bangla fluency; strong English written skills;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25%.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.