Job DescriptionWhy we are recruiting
The Tropical Forest Alliance (TFA) 2020 is a global public-private partnership dedicated to collaborative action to realize sustainable rural development and better growth opportunities based on reduced deforestation and sustainable land use management in tropical forest countries. The alliance includes more than 90 partners representing the private sector, governments, civil society organizations, indigenous peoples groups and multilateral organizations who are committed to reducing tropical deforestation associated with the production of palm oil, soy, beef and pulp and paper.
Since 2015, the World Economic Forum has hosted the TFA 2020 secretariat, and has recently received support by international donors, including the governments of Norway, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands, to continue to host the secretariat until spring 2021.
In collaboration with the supporting development agencies and other members of the TFA 2020 Steering Committee, the Forum is searching for a Director of the Tropical Forest Alliance 2020. Reporting lines and interactions The role will be based within the Centre for Global Public Goods led by Dominic Waughray, Head of International Institutional Agenda, Member of the Executive Committee.
The Director will lead and manage the TFA 2020 secretariat, ensuring its objectives and expected deliverables are met. As the TFA is a highly networked partnership, you will engage with all its partners and constituents, as well as with the World Economic Forum and its various networks. This characteristic will be a core requisite for success in this role.
Preferred requirements and experience
- Have at least 15 years of professional experience, and possess proven issue, project management and people leadership capabilities in sustainable tropical land use, agriculture, forestry or related areas as well as in related economic policy, development finance, and social development and political economy issues
- Have at least to master’s degree in environment and resource management issues, forests and deforestation, environmental economics, finance, economic policy and/or business strategy and sustainability
- Worked in an international and multicultural environment and possess strong knowledge in the key areas of building and delivering global public-private partnerships
- Have a strong interest in deepening public-private collaboration and committed to the objectives of TFA 2020 and the World Economic Forum’s wider mission
- Have a perfect command of written and spoken English; fluency in at least one other language is an advantage
- Possess excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills; a positive team player, hardworking and inspirational
- Enjoy talking to the media and be able to help moderate and facilitate high-level discussions
The TFA 2020 Director will be appointed on a three-year fixed term contract at Level IV equivalent within the World Economic Forum pay structure. The preferred location is Geneva, Switzerland. Salary is globally competitive with equivalent international organization positions and will be commensurate with experience. Salary will be paid in Swiss Francs. Information on the TFA 2020 is available at http://www.tfa2020.org
. More on the World Economic Forum can be found at www.weforum.org
Why work at the Forum
The World Economic Forum believes that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and cooperation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change.