Nathan Associates is seeking a Domestic Revenue Mobilization (DRM) Economist/Specialist to join our Economic Policy and Governance Group. The position will be based in our headquarters in Arlington, Virginia and may require international travel to the Middle East, Africa, South East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Eastern Europe/Eurasia. Candidates must have an advanced degree in economics, public administration, business, or other relevant field and twelve or more years of experience managing and working on donor-funded trade capacity building projects, including working with senior level government, private sector, and NGO counterparts. Applicants should have specific knowledge or experience in tax policy, tax administration, customs administration, and other forms of revenue mobilization. Applicants must be self-directed and demonstrate an aptitude to work in a team environment, both as a leader and team player, and possess excellent management, communication, business development, and proposal and project management skills. The DRM Specialist will report to the Vice President, Economic Policy and Governance, and collaborate with other colleagues based in the Arlington, London, and India offices.
Plan and oversee business development (BD) capture efforts for the Economic Policy and Governance Practice in coordination with the VP for Economic Policy and Governance and in collaboration with the BD team; lead practice teams and participate in specific BD activities, including proposal preparation and management and securing new business. Ensure proposal quality control for bids submitted by the Economic Policy and Governance Practice. Market to USAID, World Bank, and other donors; gather information on upcoming bid solicitations through international travel and building professional networks. Draft and conceptualize firm-wide or practice marketing materials. Develop business plans and lead efforts to target new clients, including private sector, and new areas for the firm within international trade. Speak at international, regional, and national conferences related to international trade. Develop and maintain contacts with potential clients, partners, consultants, and international institutions.
Prepare reports for clients requiring little or no editing by senior staff. Make presentations to clients and to staff on technical subjects relating to Tax Administration, Tax Policy, or other Domestic Revenue Mobilization (DRM) topics. Help develop tools/methodologies for broader potential application.
Oversee home office project management teams to ensure smooth implementation of projects and delivery of excellent results for the clients. Manage, through project management teams, complex projects (for clients or for internal purposes), including technical direction, staffing, contractual/subcontract oversight, budgeting, monitoring of progress, review/revision of final products. Support project management teams in preparation of terms of reference for technical assistance activities for designated projects, including initiation of concept, technical design, and staffing. Train and oversee work of Economic Policy and Governance Practice staff.
- MBA, M.A., or M.S. degree in relevant field
- Twelve or more years of relevant work experience in economic development, preferably with donor-funded projects in developing countries. Previous experience working in developing countries strongly preferred. Previous experience in one or more of the following areas: tax policy, tax administration, evaluation and data analytics, or economic analysis. Experience in tax policy and tax administration strongly preferred.
- Advanced excel skills; STATA experience preferred.
- Experience conducting data collection, cleaning, management, and analysis. Experience conducting program or project evaluations a plus.
- Experience working with USAID programs strongly preferred. Previous Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party experience a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making, attention to detail, ability to work as part of a team, and management skills.
- Proficiency in French, Arabic, Spanish, or other language widely spoken in the developing world preferred.
- Strong analytical and communication capabilities.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Permanent U.S. work authorization required.
About the Organization
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence and with corporate offices in the US, London, and India and more than 40 program offices around the world, we offer the following five areas of expertise, honed since we opened our doors in 1946:
- International Development
- Infrastructure, Project Development & Finance
- Economic & Regulatory Consulting
- Litigation & Expert Services
- Advisory Services
For a close view of the company’s international and domestic projects please visit our related project listings and our international project websites http://www.nathaninc.com/services