DevTech is seeking a local Driver to support the Education Data Activity by providing driving, safety, and security services. The Driver will drive assigned vehicles and advise on security matters within work environments of DevTech System programs in Zambia. Responsibilities include maintaining the project vehicle, upholding organizational safety and security standards, and reducing risks that staff may face. He or she will be responsible for the safe operation, usage and maintenance of the assigned vehicle. This will be a full-time position with benefits based in Lusaka, Zambia. Only Zambian applicants will be considered.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures all duties as driver of the assigned vehicle are performed in adherence with local traffic laws and DevTech policies, and specifically, its Authorized Driver Agreement.
- Responsible for tracking each trip, record-keeping, and attendant paperwork for each trip using Vehicle Log Book to ensure vehicle usage activities comply with DevTech Policies and USAID Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure cost-savings through, amongst others, proper use and accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs.
- Report any mechanical faults in good time for repairs to be carried out and cross check to see that the repairs were well done.
- At all times, ensure that copies of vehicle insurance,office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts are available.
- Implement safety approaches, procedures, and protocols in accordance with DevTech and USAID regarding travel, safety, and security.
- Learn and comply with all security requirements when driving and using the project vehicles.
- Provide administrative and clerical support as requested, including in preparing, copying, collating, binding, filing, and distributing documents, mail, and notifications.
- Provide logistical and administrative support during events and meetings.
- Report and advise on any risks and/or incidents that may impact project-related travel, safety, and security.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through minor repairs, timely oil changes, checking of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of a secondary school level education.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience driving a company vehicle; experience driving for an international organization or NGO preferred.
- Must possession a clean and valid driving license.
- Ability to make good judgment on staff safety and provide appropriate advice.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm and work effectively under stressful conditions.
- General familiarity with travel and security issues in Zambia. Able to adjust to shifting travel and security circumstances and facilitate operations accordingly.
- Basic mechanical knowledge leading to an ability to perform minor repairs on vehicle and also analyze any malfunctions and repairs performed on the vehicle accurately.
- Sound knowledge of Lusaka and its environs as well as good knowledge of primary cities in Zambia.
- Basic record-keeping knowledge and understanding, especially using spreadsheets.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural, multi-dimensional, fast paced environment with competing demands.
- Demonstrated respect for the values of USAID, particularly integrity, efficiency, respect for gender and diversity in daily activities and behaviors.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing time frames and deadlines.
- Oral and written English fluency required. Proficiency in local/other language a plus.
About the Organization
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. We are a data driven organization that specializes in informing policy making by delivering focused data-driven evidence-based analysis products and services. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.
This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements outlined here are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.