Devex is assisting an international development organization focused on supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position will be based in New York. The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Web Development and Operations Unit, Application Development, and Support Section. This is an International Contract Agreement, it is a fixed-term contract position of one year, renewable based on performance.
Within delegated authority, the Application Architect will be responsible for the following duties:
- Architect and build/theme responsive Drupal websites and applications as per client needs, while complying with the information security, ICT technology standards, multilingualism, accessibility and branding requirements.
- Architect and develop the standard Drupal-based templates for deploying typical websites, including departmental public Web sites, event management websites, etc.
- Architect and manage complex full-life cycle implementations of Drupal-based solutions, including a wide range of integrations with the organization and third-party systems, with a focus on maintainability, reliability, scalability, and performance.
- Perform site-building activities, including creating and modifying views, contexts, and blocks to match functionality specified in wireframes and designs.
- Create and test custom Drupal modules.
- Evaluate designs, wireframes, and other deliverables during the design and user experience phase for potential development issues and flag feasibility challenges when needed.
- Conduct peer review of code created by other developers.
- Perform security reviews of sites prior to deployments.
- Maintain, upgrade or enhances web content management solutions deployed on Drupal-based templates in premises and/or in a cloud.
- Maintain active client communications on their web development projects.
- Act as the main point of contact for external and internal teams to interface with regarding the architecture of Drupal-based websites and projects.
- Escalate development issues appropriately to technical managers, project managers, and senior management;
- Keep abreast with all the services provided by OICT as defined in the Service Catalogue.
- Stay informed with policies and technologies supported, approved and provided by the organization.
Works with a minimal amount of supervision; provides prompt and efficient application architecture services to the clients; reports work progress to the Chief of the Web Development and Operations Unit.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of information technology/information management, particularly in systems analysis, application architecture, web application development and web content management tools. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, to include proficiency in the development and implementation of systems of moderate size/complexity, Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates an appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
The Application Architect for web development projects must have:
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation, and maintenance of web-based computer information systems or related area.
- 5+ years of experience in developing large complex Drupal 7 and 8 enterprise web applications that include custom views and modules.
- Working experience in managing deployments of Drupal projects with multiple developers across multiple environments.
- Experience in developing adaptive/responsive websites using frameworks such as Bootstrap.
- Experience with REST API integrations and mastery of working with MySQL and MariaDB databases.
- Proficiency in using Git and related workflows for source control management.
- Expertise in unit testing, automated deployment processes, and continuous integration.
- Ability to analyze requirements and write detailed technical/functional specifications.
Desirable for this position:
- Ability to communicate software and system design architectures using tools like Visio and UML.
- Knowledge of cloud-based services, cloud architecture and information security;
- Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
- Knowledge of project management methodologies such as PRINCE2.
Advanced university degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
About the Organization
The organization is dedicated to implementing projects for the international financial institutions, governments and other partners around the world. The organization implements more than $1 billion worth of peace and security, humanitarian, and development projects for its partners every year, operating in more than 80 countries. From managing the construction of schools in Afghanistan to building shelters in Haiti, and procuring ambulances to support the Ebola response in Liberia.