East Africa Ag/Energy Advisor is responsible for supporting productive use models of off-grid energy to strengthen agricultural value chains and rural livelihoods in East Africa. This is a full-time role based in Nairobi, Kenya. This position reports to BTG Cross Cutting Team Leader. Responsibilities:
- Lead all activities relating to agriculture in East Africa, including conducting assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities, contributing to annual work plans, implementing approved activities, and reporting on progress
- Map priority agricultural value chains in target East African countries to identify opportunities for improving productivity or reducing costs through the introduction of off grid electricity or solar-powered agricultural equipment
- Identify and advance opportunities to promote partnerships and facilitate introductions between off-grid companies and agricultural value chain actors, including farmer cooperatives, extension agencies, bulk-buyers, and input suppliers.
- Identify challenges and opportunities in the agricultural sector that can be unlocked through the implementation of off-grid energy solutions
- Support off-grid companies in developing, refining and scaling up productive use off-grid solutions and business models in East Africa
- Provide technical assistance to SMEs in the agriculture sector to understand and implement off-grid energy solutions
- Advise BTG country advisors in East Africa on issues relating to the ag/energy nexus and agricultural value chains
- Coordinate with USAID missions in East Africa to align BTG ag/energy activities with other economic growth programs, such as Feed the Future.
- Perform other duties to ensure accomplishment of relevant project objectives as assigned by direct supervisor
- Master’s degree in a relevant technical field (agricultural engineering, agricultural economics, agricultural science, etc)
- Eight (8) years’ relevant experience including substantive field experience in Africa
- Prior experience working in the agriculture sector, preferably with the agriculture/energy nexus
- Strong technical and analytical skills on a range of issues related to agriculture
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills.
- Familiarity with the institutional context of African agricultural development
- Demonstrated, strong experience with community engagement, consultative processes, community land rights and issues
- Demonstrated experience with pay-as-you go, microcredit, micro-entrepreneurship models, community credit (such as Grameen bank), establishment of creditworthiness/credit history
- Demonstrated understanding of economic and business constraints to rural agribusiness
About the OrganizationIDG Learning, Energy & Environment for Development