We seek qualified candidates for the position of Economic and Private Sector Advisor to support the upcoming USAID Women’s Economic and Social Empowerment Activity, which aims to promote women’s access to economic opportunities through improving the work environment for women in the private sector, expanding women’s financial inclusion and reducing the socioeconomic impacts of violence against women. This activity will improve gender equity and safety at the firm level, expand women’s financial literacy and access to formal financial and banking products, and reduce social acceptability of harassment and violence against women. This position will be based in Egypt and Egyptian nationals are encouraged to apply. Employment is contingent upon the award of the Women’s Economic and Social Empowerment Activity to FHI 360, as well as USAID approval of the finalist.
The Economic and Private Sector Advisor will support and advise the Chief of Party (COP) and other project staff on Objective 1 (Improving the work environment for women in the private sector economy) activities that contribute to increasing participation by women in the Egyptian (private sector) labor force. The Economic and Private Sector Advisor will provide subject matter expertise and ensure the successful implementation of Objective 1. S/he will be responsible for activities and technical assistance related to improving the work environment for female employees in Egypt, working in partnership with targeted firms in at least three sectors in which women in Egypt have not traditionally participated. The Economic and Private Sector Advisor will develop and execute the work plans for activities under Objective 1, as well as coordinate closely with the other objective leads to ensure successful coordination and efficient use of resources. Tracking of all activities will allow for timely and accurate reporting of deliverables, milestones, results, and indicators.
Essential Job Functions: Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership and oversight of project activities under Objective 1 related to private sector engagement;
- Develop, update, and execute detailed annual work plans for all activities under Objective 1;
- Plan, define and draft the scopes of work for short-term technical assistance (STTA) resources as needed;
- Advise the COP on women’s economic empowerment, and serve as subject matter and technical expert;
- Design and implement activities to improve gender equity and safety at the firm level, increase recruitment and retention of women in high-growth sectors, and change attitudes toward women in the workplace;
- Monitor developments in Egypt as related to women’s private sector participation;
- Develop recommendations and strategies toward establishing a private sector engagement plan to help achieve key activity goals, integrating with other engagement and capacity building strategies as needed;
- Provide active technical support and guidance to public and private sector entities in line with activity goals and objectives; and
- Coordinate with the other objective leads.
- Master’s degree in international development, business administration, or other relevant fields;
- 8 plus years of professional work experience in designing, managing, or implementing social impact and development activities in women’s economic empowerment, private sector finance, and/or financial inclusion;
- Strong technical skills in women’s economic empowerment and the financial services sector;
- Proven ability serving in an advisory and liaison capacity between the public and private sector;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse team on activities of similar scale;
- Familiarity with US Government-funded programming, rules and regulations required;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in developing and maintaining unbiased and professional working relationships with government officials, civil society partners, donors, and donor-funded implementers;
- Ability to manage a team of professionals, work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance;
- Proven human resource management skills and demonstrated commitment to customer service; and
- Proven written and oral presentation skills in English and Arabic required.
Availability of position is contingent upon award to FHI 360. Selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
As we evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we stand committed to the principles that have guided our organization for the last 40+ years. Our work continues to be grounded in research and science, strengthened by partnerships and focused on building the capacity of individuals, communities and countries to succeed.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will never ask you for your career site username or password, and we will never request money, goods or services during the application, recruitment or employment process. If you have questions or concerns about correspondence from us, please email CareerCenterSupport@fhi360.org.