Provides technical and scientific leadership to those designing, and implementing technical strategies, programs or tools in specific technical areas. Provides technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence-based methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design. Builds capacity in country-level, regional or global program staff. Assesses current technical, scientific, managerial and operational efficiencies at the program, regional, or global levels as appropriate. Provides guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate technical standards and guidelines and that programs are technically sound. May evaluate proposal design and protocol development to ensure design is sound and based upon evidence-based practice. Provides global scientific leadership by staying current of evolving technical standards, guidelines, and program developments in area of expertise. Responsible for sharing best practices in their field of expertise and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks. Shares new knowledge/evidence and best practices through collaboration with relevant departments and personnel. May be required to coordinate and work with a diverse group of organizations, such as; the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW), district health staff, several international and national development partner organizations, and the USAID mission in order to complete work.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Provide technical leadership in a specific technical component and/or program wide activities.
- With technical oversight, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity
- building of specific technical components of programs.
- Participate in resource development activities.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities, and following the standards and practices of the department and division.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables, within area and function guidelines.
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures.
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs.
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound.
- May serve as a departmental resource on procedural, administrative and operational issues.
- Provides broad global technical leadership to multiple components for moderate to complex programs.
- Defines and develops solutions for major business or functional challenges.
- Contributes to planning and making recommendations for department/program/project concept, operations, and/or implementation.
- Influences design and scope of initiatives and programs.
- Reviews, analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of programs/projects and makes recommendations for enhancements.
- Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
- Represents the organization and/or Institute to external entities at professional meetings and conferences.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs and consistently maintained and viewed as a knowledgeable resource in their technical area.
- Continually maintains a dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Coordinates with employees and consultants, on-site and in the field for situations that is less routine and more unusual.
- Note: Advancement to TAIII is appointed by Senior Management.
- Strategic focus for all programs independent of degree of complexity.
- Leads a large complex division of the organization and is accountable for developing the division’s strategic and operational plans, goals, and policies.
- Contributes to and executes parts of the strategic and operational plans of the organization.
- Leads through subordinate directors and managers and other direct reports, all of whom are management.
- Responsible for financial matters within the division.
- Typically serves as a member of the senior management team.
- Considered a technical expert in their field by internal and external entities.
- Communicates organization-wide strategies and priorities to functional leaders who will develop strategic and operational plans and policies for their own areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Assists senior management in determining organization objectives, and interprets organization policies.
- Establishes organization policies in a major segment of the technical area.
- Interprets, executes, and recommends modifications to organization-wide policies.
- Demonstrates realistic budgeting and fiscal accountability.
- Represents the organizational unit as internal and external contact.
- Conducts briefings and technical meetings for top management and customer representatives.
- Interacts with equivalent level managers concerning matters of significance to the company.
- In-depth understanding of the external environment and how it affects the industry in general and organization in particular, including political, legal, environmental, financial and social influences.
- In-depth and deep understanding of the structure, operations, human resources and finances of the organization and the complexities of their interdependencies.
- Often advises and creates plans based on analysis of issues and trends, and how these link to the responsibilities, capabilities, and potential of the technical area.
- Scans an ever-changing, complex environment in anticipation of emerging crises and opportunities.
- Erroneous decisions will affect the financial, employee or public relations posture of the organization.
- Faulty decisions or recommendation will result in failure to achieve major goals and objectives of the organization.
- Problems encountered often involve multiple departments, projects, or programs.
- Problems are often complex, broad in scope and implications, and often unprecedented with no clear resolution.
- Resolution requires in-depth analysis, cross-functional assessment and understanding of the organization’s strategic direction, and must consider the complex interdependencies related to the problem.
- Directs and controls the activities of one or more technical functional areas within multiple countries.
- Completed work is reviewed, from a relatively long-term perspective, for desired results.
- Contributes to development of organization’s strategic plan.
- Develops well-informed advice and strategies that are sensitive to the various needs of multiple stakeholders and partners, reflect the strategic direction of the department and position the company for success.
- Overall responsibility for the planning and implementation of budgets within those functional areas.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typically requires 11+ years of experience in a specialized technical/medical field of study.
- Considered an expert in their technical field of study or knowledge area.
- Informed of current program developments in division/unit/technical area.
- Oversee and leads projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Familiar with donor/client funded programs and corresponding regulations and communication styles.
- Written and published materials related to technical area e.g., journal articles, job aids, training curricula, and other tools.
- Experience in specialized technical/medical field of study.
Technology to be Used:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.