International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Economist
Department/Location: Worldwide, Global
Reports To: Team Leader
Type: Regular Full-Time
IBTCI currently serves as a subcontractor to IMC Worldwide, who is leading a consortium on the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID) Global Evaluation Framework Agreement (GEFA) involving the design and implementation of evaluations across DFID’s aid programmes. A Call Down under this framework, Monitoring and Evaluation of Payment by Results for DFID core funding to United Nations and Red Cross agencies, is being solicited through the GEFA Framework. DFID is seeking a suitably qualified Service Provider to provide an impartial and objective monitoring and evaluation function for the performance-based funding components of three business cases providing core funding to UN development, UN humanitarian and Red Cross agencies. DFID requires the Service Provider to assess output- and outcome-level progress, collect data, and carry out analysis to inform DFID decision-making on agencies’ performance against agreed payment by results (PbR) indicators; and evaluate the impact of the PbR approach in this context.
Please note that this position is for an upcoming proposal and is contingent upon award.
Scope of Work:
- The Economist will source, analyze, and integrate data sources in order to support evaluating PbR for DFID core funding to UN and Red Cross Agencies;
- He/she will analyze data;
- He/she will support determining appropriate analytics and methodologies to use;
- He/she will perform other duties as assigned;
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with IBTCI clients;
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final work product;
- While working on proposals with IBTCI, the consultant is prohibited from working on that same proposal with any other organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated understanding of sourcing and analyses required to reliably integrate data sources into an evaluation of development assistance initiatives;
- Experience analyzing data for research and evaluations in international development, particularly those funded by DFID, UN, and/or Red Cross;
- Familiarity with DFID monitoring and evaluation policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative evaluation methodologies with particular expertise in Value for Money (VfM) programming;
- Expertise in results-based financing, payment-by-results, performance-based financing approaches;
- Proven experience with data analysis software (such as Atlas.Ti, STATA, or SPSS).
- At least 10 years’ of demonstrated experience identifying, analyzing, and contributing to the design of quantitative and qualitative research required;
- At least 5 years’ of evaluation experience for donor-funded international development projects, with demonstrated experience working on United Nation’s (UN) and/or Red Cross projects highly preferred;
- Demonstrated experience evaluation DFID Value for Money (VfM) programming preferred;
- Ability to speak English fluently and be able to work fluidly with dynamic and diverse teams.
Master’s degree required, PhD preferred in Economics, International Development, Social Science, or a related field.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position may have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: This position may require international travel.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.
About the Organization
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and has implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI has served governments, private sector companies and several donor agencies in the practice area of Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including health, education, environment & economic development and crisis, conflict & governance.