Through Performance Monitoring and Support Program Lebanon II (PMSPL II), Social Impact supplements the monitoring and program management efforts of USAID/Lebanon staff and verifies, monitors, and supports USAID program performance in Lebanon.
USAID is reorienting the program cycle towards building a country’s self-reliance. This requires both an understanding of where a country stands on its own journey (the self-reliance roadmap), and the opportunities and threats to progress. PMSPL II has been requested to develop a Country Economic Review (CER) which is a new USAID product that assesses the economic determinants of a country’s self-reliance progress and provides a diagnosis of the country economic development situation and potential that can be used for Mission planning at all levels.
The CER is a synthesis of existing economic analysis and data. It is a brief written review and provides background analysis with implications for a mission’s Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS), project or activity design, and/or midterm review or course correction during any stage of implementation. It should be used by Mission staff to inform the design of aid interventions. The CER provides a framework at the country level for both the Financing Self-Reliance initiative and for enhanced Private Sector Engagement and the design of enterprise-driven development projects.
PMSPL is seeking a macroeconomist to conduct a desk review and develop the CER for USAID/Lebanon including Mission leadership, technical staff, and program staff. The CER could also be shared with other Embassy staff, partner country counterparts, and external stakeholders to help justify programming decisions to the agency, interagency, and external audiences. This will be remote work and will not require travel to Lebanon. This position is open to Lebanese nationals and expatriates.
- Assemble available resources such as analyses from the World Bank, IMF, The Economist, think tanks, national statistics office, government ministries, and other providers of country economic analysis
- Conduct a desk review of existing analysis and data.
- Develop a message outline of the CER to be discussed with PMSPL II and USAID.
- Write the CER which will include sections on country economic performance; analysis of the main factors driving performance; summary of the government’s economic development goals, targets, and plans; analysis of the government’s opportunities for and risks to improved economic performance; and possible effects of economic performance on USAID programming.
- Present findings to PMSPL II team and USAID.
- Ten years of experience in macroeconomic research, analysis, and writing
- Advanced degree in Economics or similar area of study (PhD preferred)
- Excellent writing skills required
- Familiarity or experience working in Lebanon is highly preferred
- Experience working with USAID or USAID funded programs is preferred
- Experience writing CERs is preferred
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.