EnCompass LLC is seeking an Editing and Product Development Associate to support the Communications team. The Editing and Product Development Associate is responsible for ensuring that EnCompass communication products and technical deliverables adhere to the company’s style and quality standards. This position provides copy editing, proofreading, formatting, and works with the communications team to ensure that technical teams and other groups receive the support they need. The position is based at EnCompass’ headquarters in Rockville, Maryland.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Providing high-quality, audience-focused copy editing, proofreading, and formatting and layout support for external and internal communication products (e.g., project reports, new business proposals, blog posts, and newsletters)
- Helping ensure that materials adhere to EnCompass (and client) style guidelines and are accurate, error-free, and submitted on time
- Collaborating with other members of the communications team and other EnCompass teams to manage incoming requests and prioritize tasks (traffic management)
- Contributing to team and corporate work plans, quality initiatives, and other activities that apply to the role of communications at EnCompass
- Bachelor’s degree in professional writing, editing, communications, or a related field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in copy editing, proofreading, and formatting a variety of business documents, and working with editorial and graphic design staff to support publications and product development, including task scheduling/traffic management
- Copy editing and proofreading for business/NGO and international development audiences and funders, such as USAID, the United Nations, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Application of the guidance in a style guide; ability to set personal preferences aside in favor of the organization’s guidance
- Developing and working with templates and formatting materials using Microsoft Office programs, especially Word and PowerPoint; working with charts in Microsoft Excel (creating a basic chart; formatting charts created by others)
- Interacting with graphic designers to manage workflow and copy edit/proofread visuals
- Highly desirable: Familiarity with international development programs
- Highly desirable: An understanding of compliance with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or copyright law
Experience and Skills
- Strong writing and editing skills and knowledge of English grammar and syntax, including when to apply exceptions to meet the needs of the target audience
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities/tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with teams (in-person and virtual) and independently
- Ability to provide clear and constructive feedback, and receive feedback from colleagues
- Strong work ethic with a commitment to excellence
- Willingness to learn on the job and expand skills through collaborating with team members
- Highly desirable: Strong knowledge of at least one other language, especially French or Spanish
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass LLC is a women owned small business that offers innovative solutions for organizational excellence. We seek to enhance the impact and capacity of government and multilateral agencies, corporations, and nonprofits around the world through customized services in organizational and leadership development, training, technical assistance, and evaluation. EnCompass has a global and multicultural team of staff and consultants with deep expertise in a range of issues including health, HIV/AIDS, gender, democracy and governance, education, human rights, agriculture and food security.