In collaboration with the Swiss German Office team, develop Medair’s presence in the German-speaking part of Switzerland by building brand awareness and increasing visibility.
Ensure appropriate and inspiring wording in all our German communication means by proofreading and/or editing. Expanding Medair’s visibility in German-speaking medias.
Workplace & Conditions
Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
August 2018. 50%, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Ensure high quality and audience customised wording and style in Medair’s German communication by proofreading translated documents. In particular:
- Annual report
- Medair News
- Website & digital content
- Project proposals/reports
- Organisational documents…
- Meet deadlines of requester coordinating with Zurich team and provide final version of documents.
- Proofread draft documents for Zurich team members, and support the team where requested.
- Edit appealing texts, letters etc. where translation is not available or don’t meet the requirements of the audience, ie.
- Thank you letters
- Social Media posts
- Communication around German-speaking initiatives and events…
- Establish relationships to targeted journalists and media in Swiss German.
- Promote activities and initiatives towards media.
- Promote Swiss field staff to local newspapers.
- Invite journalists to events and provide press releases.
- Explore further opportunities to engage with media and increase coverage.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree level or equivalent. Certification as journalist or public relations desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of German and English (spoken and written).
- Working knowledge of Swiss German and French.
Experience / Competencies
- Experience as journalist or copywriter preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Private or public sector experience in Switzerland.
- Overseas experience in a humanitarian or development project desirable.
- Understanding of International and humanitarian context desirable.
- Advanced user of MS Office. Good knowledge of social media desirable. Networking skills.
- Excellent written communication skills. Sense for inspiring communication and current trends.
- Ability to work autonomously. Goal and performance oriented. Collaborative team player.
- High flexibility to meet short deadlines – in few cases at evenings or weekends. Ability to work well under pressure.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.