Based in Dili, Timor-Leste
Short Term Adviser (STA) - Up to 80 days to end December 2018
The Partnership for Human Development (PHD) represents Australia’s long-term vision for enhancing human development in Timor Leste. It brings together the Australian Embassy’s (Timor Leste) diverse activities in health, education, water, sanitation, nutrition, gender equality, disability and social protection into a single program to maximise effectiveness, relevance and performance.
PHD supports the goals of the Government of Timor-Leste to improve the quality of basic education, through several programs aimed at enhancing student learning outcomes, underpinned by improvements in teacher quality, school leadership, and effectiveness. These programs are informed by global education research that links professional learning for teachers and school leaders and improved learning outcomes. The Professional Learning and Mentoring Program (PLMP) is a key investment and is focused on improving teacher quality and the school learning environment, through a focus on leader and teacher effectiveness.
The Education Adviser will provide technical and specialist advice to PHD, Ministry of Education and other stakeholders to improve design, delivery, innovation, monitoring and evaluation of programs on basic education. The Adviser will be responsible for:
- Rapid assessment of existing Education programs to identify gaps and recommend strategies for improvement, particularly The Professional Learning and Mentoring Program (PLMP)
- Conduct consultations with Ministry of Education and other stakeholders to review Human Resources system of the Ministry and provide technical advice to improve recruitment and career development of teachers
- Provide technical advice to the Inspectorate General in the development of manual for inspectors and improvement of leadership in schools.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Advanced degree in Education or a master’s degree in a relevant field with an additional five to ten years of experience
- Extensive experience and demonstrated results in leading rapid assessment of existing education programs in the international development context
- Deep understanding of the challenges in education reform relevant to Timor-Leste or similar country context
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with senior partner government officials and other key stakeholders; exceptional writing skills, with demonstrated results in providing high quality reporting.
Further Information and How to Apply
Further information in regards to this opportunity can be found from the Careers page of Abt Associates website at http://abtjta.turborecruit.com.au/job/jobDetailsPreview.cfm?id=1012573
It is preferred that all applications should be submitted online via the Careers page listed above.
Applications can also be lodged through PHD Human Resources email email@example.com
Please insert the job title in the email subject heading. All applications are to include a current CV and address the key selection criteria.
Closing date: Monday 12 March 2018 (midnight AEST)
We welcome and thank all applications, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
Abt Associates – Who We Are
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.
For more information about our company and what we do visit our website at www.abtassociates.com.au.