Education and Literacy Specialist
Type – Full time (Remote until further notice)
Location - Alexandria, VA
Reporting – Executive Director of Programs
Nascent Solutions is seeking a qualified professional with expertise in education and literacy humanitarian programs in sub-Saharan Africa. The incumbent will provide input to promote an overall healthy lifestyle for beneficiaries and their communities. Candidate will also provide strategic direction and inclusive leadership in the implementation, prioritization, and selection of opportunities to maintain and expand the company portfolio of programs and services that improve education outcomes. Candidate will be a vital member of the technical team who will assist in shaping and guiding the department’s mission, vision, and goals. The candidate will also contribute to new business development by anticipating and planning for new opportunities, overseeing partner selection, and maintaining healthy relationships with donors to drive thought leadership efforts which ensure the company is recognized for important contributions within this practice area.
Nascent is a US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit and international development organization founded in 2004 with the mission of harnessing the creative entrepreneurial skills of target beneficiaries and strengthening their capacity to champion the development agenda of their communities. In the last 16 years, Nascent has mobilized resources and implemented programs in food security, nutrition, education, and maternal and child health, impacting the lives of over 10 million people in several African countries. For more details, visit www.nascents.org.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Lead the development and implementation of Nascent’s education and literacy strategy.
· Serve as subject matter expert during new business development activities, including proposal writing and support management with new ideas and innovative opportunities to expand education presence.
· Develop and maintain a good rapport with key government agencies in target countries.
· Oversee the design and development of specific programs, materials, and training manuals and support teacher professional development.
· Collaborate with all technical units to ensure education interests are closely integrated with other organizational sectors.
· Serve as the education point of contact for portfolio-related status, actions, decisions, risks, issues, and schedules for strategic initiatives.
· Ensure collaboration across departments and country offices in the design and delivery of programs and education services that meet and exceed best global practice standards.
· Partner with colleagues and regional and country office leadership to identify and mitigate issues, ensure excellence and fidelity in award and relevant strategy implementation, and certify compliance with organizational and donor policies and procedures.
· A minimum of a master’s degree in education and/or equivalent in international relations, child development, or related field.
· A minimum of 5 years of experience in the design and implementation of international development programs with demonstrated expertise in education and literacy.
· Ability to effectively negotiate with prospective donors and a demonstrated ability to develop and write detailed technical project proposals that meet donor and budget requirements.
· Knowledge and practical experience with Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA) preferred.
· Experience in promoting and mainstreaming Child Rights Based programming in education program design, implementation, and evaluation.
· Knowledge of US government award mechanisms, financial policies and guidelines, and procurement rules and regulations.
· Solid technical writing and proposal development experience with advanced computer proficiency and analytical skills.
· Consultative approach to building of national staff, ability to liaise with partners and have a strong capacity to effectively coordinate with government, local NGOs, and the community on initiatives.
· Good interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively negotiate at all levels.
· Strong research background or experience in managing large-scale research studies is highly valued.
· Attention to detail along with critical thinking and ability to multitask while prioritizing is key.
· Exceptional time management skills with the ability to deliver under tight deadlines.
· Readiness to undertake a broad range of tasks as necessary.
· Ability and willingness to travel 15% of the time.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 28, 2021. Please include “Education and Literacy Specialist” in the email subject line. Current work authorization in the United States is required.
About Nascent Solutions
Nascent offers employees a competitive compensation package, including health insurance, paid vacation, 401(k), and a professional development stipend. Nascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.