As a subcontractor to the Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) in support of the USAID Uganda Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity, SSG Advisors d/b/a Resonance will lead the identification and facilitation of private sector engagement (PSE) opportunities to address ICYD objectives. ICYD is a 5-year Activity focused on Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives.
Resonance will leverage its understanding of the private sector landscape in Uganda and identify opportunities to collaborate and partner with the private sector. The first step, prior to establishing private sector priorities under ICYD will consist of a Rapid Partnership Appraisal (RPA). The RPA will assess the local public and private sector landscape and analyze their abilities to further contribute to ICYD’s goals, with a focus on youth and vulnerable populations. The RPA will be followed by engaging and nurturing the identified partnerships into fruition.
The Consultant will participate in the building a list of stakeholders and contacts in the private sector, with a focus on education. In their role the Consultant, will collaborate with the Resonance RPA Team to provide additional knowledge and expertise on Uganda’s private sector related to education through technical, logistical, and active participation in the assessment. This engagement will take place between ~February 1 – May 30, 2021.
The Consultant will provide technical, logistical and will actively participate to support the Resonance RPA Team – which include Team Leader, Resonance’s Manager and Uganda-based Sr Private Sector Specialist. Specific responsibilities include the following:
· Collaborate on a list of stakeholders in coordination with the Resonance RPA Team, as well as keeping it updated.
o Stakeholders will come primarily from the private sector, including but not limited to the education sector, health sector, ICT/Telecom sector, start-ups and entrepreneurs, and other business sectors as relevant.
· Identifying points-of-contact, as needed, at selected companies as directed by the RPA Team.
· Conduct email and phone outreach to select external private sector stakeholders; as requested and indicated by the RPA Team – following email templates, as applicable.
· Involved in team ideation on potential avenues for private sector engagement and partnerships with an emphasis on early grade reading (EGR) and retention in education.
o May also identify OVC and Gender Based Violence as cross-cutting themes for private sector engagement.
· Support the development and presentation of applicable deliverables
· Support each interview by utilizing the interview guide, asking follow-up questions, take notes and synthesizing stakeholder interviews.
o Will be scheduled with one other member of the RPA Team to ensure a 2-person interview team for each private sector meeting.
o Collaborate with team on recommendations based on findings.
· Partake in check-ins and after-action action reviews to troubleshoot problems and capture learnings and opportunities for ICYD.
Attend check-in calls and technical meetings, as requested
Regularly update stakeholder list, as requested
Digitized comprehensive notes, utilizing the interview guide
Inputs for the RPA Report, as requested
· Minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience working with businesses in Uganda
· Strong familiarity with Uganda’s private sector landscape; particularly outside Kampala, with experience and/or knowledge supporting or leading private sector engagement (PSE), partnership development, and/or corporate social responsibility (CSR) efforts
· Demonstrated networks within the Uganda private sector landscape, specifically within the education, health, ICT/telecom and/or entrepreneurship/enterprise sectors.
· Proven ability to lead and supportive qualitative interviews, as well as analyzing and reporting on qualitative date;
· Familiarity with the education sector, particularly early-grade reading (EGR) and primary school retention.
· Strong written and oral presentation skills in English
· Experience working with USAID or other large government or donor entities, preferred
· Prior experience working on private sector partnerships in Uganda, preferred