Since 2001, Dexis has provided innovative management solutions for a secure and prosperous world. In the last three years alone, Dexis has worked in 90 countries supporting critical missions of agencies in the global development and security assistance space. With triple digit growth in recent years, Dexis was ranked in the top 10 consulting firms by funding at the US Agency for International Development in FY16 and FY17. Dexis was also among the highest rated employers on Glassdoor, where many of its 250-plus employees cited a people-centered leadership and culture as the main drivers to its success.
The purpose of the Education Support Initiative (ESI) is to recruit, hire and maintain technical, professional, operational, and support staff that supply services to the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Education Office and education sector. It includes full-time positions as well as short- and medium-term consultants.
Under this SOW, the Consultant will develop a position paper to help inform the development of a measurement approach for SDG indicator 4.1.1. The position paper will help advance USAID’s early grade learning priorities through a discussion of measurement of early grade learning. The paper will present a typology of country-level early grade learning assessments in middle and lower-income countries, including international sample-based assessments, and will discuss implications of differences in assessment approaches for comparability of data, using the existing data on assessing early grade reading and math. With input from USAID, the position paper will identify: Assessment practices preferred by USAID; Assessment practices that are acceptable but not preferred by USAID.
The activities under this scope of work also include:
- Necessary desk reviews,
- Consultations with assessment and early grade reading/math specialists within and outside USAID,
- Drafting the position paper,
- Necessary revisions based on the feedback from stakeholders.
The consultant will work in close collaboration and coordination with the members of Reading and Literacy Team and the Evidence Team within the Office of Education and will engage in routine (weekly) communication and reporting on progress. The consultant will report to the Evidence Team Lead
Consultant will be responsible for producing the following deliverables*:
- A desk review of assessment frameworks for measuring early grade reading and math in middle and lower-income countries
- Notes from consultation meetings with select staff in the Office of Education and possibly stakeholders outside USAID.
- Position paper draft
- Position paper revised final draft.
* Due dates for each deliverable is pending on when consultant starts and will be determined closer to execution of an independent contract agreement (ICA).
Level of Effort:
The total Level of Effort expected for this activity is estimated at 35 days.
Period of Performance:
The expected period of performance is on or around May 21, 2018 – August 21, 2018.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Education: Masters/PhD degree and 7 years of experience, or Masters degree and 8 years of experience
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.