Do you want an exciting job in education policy and research, based in one of our global locations? Oxford Policy Management’s education portfolio is recruiting three Education Consultant posts, in Islamabad or Oxford, for an initial 12 month contract.
We are organised around five technical areas:
- Education systems;
- Learning assessments;
- Education finance;
- Non-state actors in education; and
- Education generalists.
In each technical area, we provide governments and their partners with cutting edge global research and diagnostics, rigorous analytical support to strategy and planning, sensitive technical assistance, and robust monitoring and evaluation.
The education team is one of OPM’s fastest-growing teams. We have completed over 200 education projects in 50 countries over the past 20 years.
We are seeking three talented and dynamic individuals to join our generalist, education systems and learning assessment teams technical areas at consultant level for maternity covers of 12 months initially, two in Oxford and one in Islamabad. There is a prospect these roles can become permanent, but this will be discussed as the role develops.
Day to day responsibilities are likely to involve the following but are not exhaustive:
- Delivering projects. You will manage or lead project teams of OPM staff and externals to deliver impact, at a level of complexity that stretches you. You will liaise directly with clients and partners and spend time in ministries, schools and communities. You will make important individual contributions to research, analysis, design and the implementation of solutions.
- Winning projects. You will lead the planning, conceptualising and delivery of high quality project proposals in your areas of interest. You will put together winning teams and consortia. You will build OPM’s reputation with key clients.
- Learning. You will spend time learning lessons from our work and from your colleagues to build your public policy and consulting skills. We will invest in your development on the job, in training programmes and in mentoring.
- Influencing. You will distil what we have learned to make a positive contribution to public debate through presenting, writing and engagement. This will build your personal profile as an expert.
Successful candidates will be able to display the following skills and experiences:
- Intellectual curiosity and academic excellence: a degree and post-graduate qualification (at least a masters) in relevant discipline (such as economics, education or development studies), probably finishing in the top 10% of your cohort.
- A demonstrated passion for development and commitment to achieving results particularly in improving education outcomes in low- and middle-income countries.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills and leadership potential. You take initiative, build networks across cultures and seniorities, are organised and able to manage your own time effectively in a busy environment.
- Proven problem-solving skills applied to real-world practical challenges, and
- An approach that is flexible, consultative, adaptable yet perfectionist. You will be an excellent communicator and listener across different cultures, and can demonstrate this.
- You have at least four years full-time professional experience as a development or public policy professional or researcher, including working on low- and middle-income countries in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and South East Asia, where you will have spent substantial amounts of time. Ideally, you have experience working with a government or development organisation.
- You have the ability and ideally proven experience in your areas of specialism to develop winning project proposals, manage excellent delivery or consulting projects, generate and share learning, and contribute to public debate.
- You want to work in an office in Islamabad or Oxford.
- You are fluent in English and ideally, you can work in other relevant languages as well.
- You are happy to travel extensively to locations where we deliver projects
Please apply via the OPM website with a CV and covering letter for a position in Oxford or Islamabad by 23.59pm (UK time) on 25th November 2019
About the Organization
We are an international development consultancy committed to helping low- and middle-income countries achieve growth and reduce poverty and disadvantage through public policy reform.
Working in all areas of social and economic policy and governance, we seek to bring about lasting positive change through analytical and practical policy expertise. Through our global network of offices, we work in partnership with national decision makers to research, design, implement, and evaluate impactful public policy in over 100 countries.
We draw on our local and international sector experts, alongside a network of expert associates and dedicated support staff, to provide the very best evidence-based support.