Requisition ID: req1986
Job Title: Education Coordinator
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Sierra Leone
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC has worked in Sierra Leone since 1999. The IRC currently programs across three core sectors 1) Health 2) Women and Girls’ Protection and Empowerment (WGPE), and 3) Education.
The IRC is committed to supporting the Government of Sierra Leone in the strengthening of the country. We seek to build upon our programming experience and introduce new programs that are adaptive, collaborative and evidence-driven, leading to a more educated, safe, healthy and empowered Sierra Leone.
SCOPE OF WORK
Building on this work over the years, the IRC in Sierra Leone has developed a new program framework, strategy and vision for 2016 - 2020. The country program has committed to ensuring that school-aged children, in and out of school, have appropriate literacy, numeracy, social-emotional skills and learn in safe environments. The IRC also works towards the reduction and elimination of barriers to ensure that girls are equally skilled and safe as boys. The Education Coordinator will be responsible to lead high quality program implementation and provide technical support, capacity building and guidance to the IRC’s education staff and partners including: Government Ministries and departments; other NGOs, community groups; and international organizations.
Areas of Responsibility
Technical Oversight and Support
Provide technical support and guidance on all programming to a range of partners, stakeholders and the education team working in the communities, on the following broad areas:
* Safe spaces & mentoring- spaces for women and girls to find support, learn, self-organize and develop their activism.
* Early grade literacy and numeracy
* Basic literacy and numeracy for out of school youth
* Social-emotional learning
* School improvement
* Teacher professional development through trainings, coaching and teacher learning circles
* Girls Education
* School safety and elimination of violence against girls
* Lead the implementation of the Strategic Action Plan within the education sector and provide technical guidance to the teams.
* Ensure that programming adheres to the IRC’s Outcome and Evidence Framework to achieve outcomes. This includes having evidence based theories of change and project approaches/activities, and a robust M&E framework according to IRC and donor standards. Where evidence is lacking, programming then generates evidence.
* Ensure that the education sector has an M&E system which follows the standards for data collection, management and reporting and teams use data to make decisions regarding program changes.
* Ensure that all programs are designed to mitigate risk in order to do no harm, especially for women and girls.
* Ensure the education program is evidence generating from rigorous research to inform practice.
* Proactively work with the IRC Technical Units, especially the Education Advisor, to ensure adequate technical support is provided to the teams.
Program Management and Business Development
* Coordinate and support all education programs and components within IRC Sierra Leone to ensure timely, effective and quality activity set-up, budget management, implementation, and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
* Provide leadership on new program development; actively pursue new program funding opportunities in-line with the program framework and the country program’s strategic outcomes.
* Identify gaps in the Education programs and work with the team to develop innovative approaches and mechanisms to address them.
* Conduct regular field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives and facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges identified.
* Develop and maintain a monitoring & evaluation plan and framework for current and new education programming, ensuring ethical and systematic processes of data collection, analysis, decision making, and information sharing.
* Ensure programs and activities are locally led and owned by the individuals and communities who the IRC serve.
* Actively identify, build and promote partnerships with INGOs, UN agencies, local and national groups, organisations working on education issues, with the objective of facilitating strong coordination and collaboration.
* Proactively work with other IRC programs in Health and Women and Girls Protection and Empowerment to identify areas and opportunities for collaboration, design integrated proposals, and collectively implement projects that multiply positive outcomes for the people we serve.
Finance, Budget and Grant Management
* Overall responsibility for education program budgets. Monitor budget spending in line with the spending plans, budget vs actual analyses, and develop remedial plans where necessary to ensure budgets are optimally utilized.
* Work with the field teams in the development of program budgets, cash projections and spending plans and any other grants as may be required, and ensure diligence in grants utilization.
* Work with the Grants Manager to ensure all education grants are in compliance with donor guidelines and contracts/ agreements including budget flexibility and reporting requirements.
* Ensure high-quality and timeliness of IRC and donor reports on activities, indicators and achievements.
HR Management and National Staff Capacity Building
Supervise and provide ongoing support, capacity development and mentoring to the national Snr Education Managers, supporting them to do the same with the Managers they supervise, on areas including (but not limited to):
- Budgeting and grants management.
- Project and HR management.
- Leadership, delegation, decision-making, problem solving, strategic planning, and conflict management.
- Technical performance management support (setting of objectives, appraisals and professional development action plans and follow up).
- Monitoring and evaluation.
- Outcomes and Evidence Framework.
* When required, lead on the recruitment of new education program staff, consultants or other external support, in coordination with HR.
* Ensure effective team communication and support between team members based in Freetown and the three field sites, including opportunities for debriefing and ensure staff well-being and care.
Coordination & Representation
* Proactively build strong working alliances with other international and national actors/organisations working in education in Sierra Leone.
* Proactively develop and maintain effective working relationships with other key stakeholders, including donors, government actors, UN agencies (including UNICEF), international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors; maintaining IRC as a key contributor to addressing quality of education in Sierra Leone.
* Actively participate in national level coordination meetings and working groups.
* Advanced degree in social sciences, humanities, human rights, gender, or other relevant field or the equivalent in professional work.
* Five years’ experience in managing education programming.
* Demonstrated coordination, networking and relationship building skills with key partners including government, donors, INGOs, national and local organisations, UN agencies.
* Demonstrated experience in successfully leading, building and strengthening a program team of 20 + staff in a dynamic, challenging and changing context.
* Demonstrated experience in supervising, mentoring and building capacity of staff.
* Strong experience, knowledge and skills in participatory methods, community development and partnership.
* Demonstrated experience in facilitating practical workshops and educating others on issues including - SEL, early grade literacy and numeracy, teacher training, curriculum development, adolescent girls programming and school leadership.
* Demonstration of strong writing skills and clear and appropriate communications skills.
* Demonstrated experience of budget planning, project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation frameworks, including data analysis.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, positive and professional attitude, ability to lead and work well in a team setting and with multiple partners.
* Strengths in listening, empathy, flexibility, and creativity.Fluency in English Language.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity and Anti-Retaliation.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY