Requisition ID: req1606
Job Title: Education Data Advisor
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At-work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. IRC reaches over a million children annually with education and child protection programs in 25 countries around the world.
The IRC delivers education programs in 22 countries reaching nearly 1.5 million children around the world. The IRC’s educational interventions strive to help children and youth gain valuable skills and knowledge that will increase their opportunities and life chances, and contribute to their well-being and livelihood. The IRC supports formal and non-formal learning activities that lead to tangible learning outcomes in literacy, numeracy, socio-emotional learning, and marketable skills and promotes the protection and psychosocial well-being of conflict-affected children and youth.
Based in IRC Headquarters in New York City, the Education Data Advisor is a new role that will strengthen skills and systems needed for IRC’s education technical unit and field teams to collect and use education program and implementation data. This position will focus primarily on programs in the Middle East in the near term and will be part of a smaller cross-unit team of staff with technical, research, M&E and measurement skills.
* Work with the Research and Measurement Technical Advisor and a small group of country teams in the Middle East, and to assess existing education program data, systems and skills.
* Define use cases for program and implementation data - identify the most important strategic and implementation decisions that require program data.
* Identify incentives, skills and systems required to collect, store, analyze and visualize program and implementation data. With field staff and Research and Measurement TA, develop simple, user-friendly tools to store, analyze and visualize data.
* Build the capacity of field staff to be able to collect and use data for ongoing decision-making in their programs. Develop and test training materials with field staff; identify resources needed to develop dynamic, user-centered training content.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Director, Education
Position directly supervises: N/A
Indirect Reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
* Internal: position works closely with the Research and Measurement Technical Advisor, Senior Researcher, Education; and Deputy Director, Education
* External: New York University - research partners
* 6-8 years work experience.
* Experience developing data systems and working with education-related data sets to enable use of data by front line educators, education program managers and education leaders
* Experience analyzing and presenting data, and developing or managing the systems to do this, in simple ways to enable use of data for decision-making
* Experience working with and training individuals from a wide range of countries, cultures and with a range of expertise related to data collection, analysis and use
* Standard office work environment
* Travel required (40%)