Are you passionate about driving programs focused on foreign assistance? Do you want to be part of an organization that offers meaningful assignments and opportunities to expand your skills and expertise? At Dexis, you will experience a corporate culture of inclusiveness, fairness, and trust. You will be given the means and mentorship needed to succeed, and your creativity will be rewarded.
Dexis Consulting Group is recruiting for an Education Engagement and Communications Advisor who will be embedded within USAID’s Office of Education and will work to support the overall engagement and communications goals for the education sector of USAID.
USAID’s work in Education is guided by both the U.S. Government Strategy on International Basic Education and the USAID Education Policy. The Office of Education works to ensure key stakeholders understand the main tenets of both the strategy and policy and how USAID’s education programs are an integral part of the Agency’s vision of Transformation–transforming lives, communities and economies.
The Education Engagement and Communications Advisor reports to the Director of the Office of Education, and provides communications guidance and support on education policy development, partnerships and communications. The Advisor will play an important role in USAID and global initiatives that advance the global education sector in addition to U.S. foreign assistance policy and programs. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to strategic communications (external and internal), event planning, Congressional reporting and communication, development of promotional materials, USAID country Mission support, and other tasks as assigned. The Engagement and Communications Advisor interacts frequently with colleagues at all levels of the organization and with external stakeholders on policy and communications matters.
Strategic Engagement and Communication – External and Internal (40%)
- Develop and advise on engagement strategies and plans to advance and support Agency and office priorities and initiatives, including the identification of key audiences, opportunities, and messaging.
- Write, edit, and provide clearances on briefers, talking points and materials to prepare leadership for meetings, speaking engagements, presentations and events.
- Write, edit, and provide clearances on Congressional reports and responses to inquiries from Congress.
- Recommend ideas, improvements, and best practices to continually improve USAID Education’s external communications and engagement.
- Support the development of plans and efforts to promote education work internally and elevate the profile of education among agency leadership.
- Coordinate with others to strengthen messaging and narratives about USAID Education, cross-sectoral collaboration, policy engagement, partnerships, program success, etc., including via internal USAID Education and Agency platforms.
- Liaise and collaborate with USAID staff from other Bureaus on joint communications efforts, as they relate to the intersection between different sectors.
- Conduct communications and engagement professional development training activities for USAID Washington and regional staff.
Events and Promotional Materials (20%)
- Identify and support opportunities to elevate the Office of Education’s public presence through events, speaking, and engagement opportunities for USAID Principals, including those having to do with other sectors including health, agriculture, and economic growth.
- Oversee the development of communications products, including videos, stories, brochures, fact sheets, graphics and materials, by providing technical guidance, budget, and program development reviews.
- Oversee any work with graphic designers, videographers and researchers to develop content.
- Develop materials to convey USAID program results and identify appropriate communication channels.
- Support technical teams in integrating information into office events and communications campaigns.
Online and Social Media Engagement (20%)
- Develop and carry out an editorial calendar with specific goals for the Office of education through social media, blogs/articles and an external newsletter, utilizing creative engagement methods and ways to measure progress.
- Maintain USAID Education website and social media pages, including Facebook, Twitter, Medium, and submissions to the USAID storytelling channels (Medium, Exposure, Storytelling Hub, Videos, etc.)
- Coordinate with teams and office leadership on communications planning and messaging to highlight office priorities and initiatives.
- Work with LPA to identify press opportunities and build relationships with appropriate media and press outlets.
- Stay current on trends in social media and other online communications and identify the most effective ways to use existing platforms.
Mission Engagement (10%)
- Facilitate regular communications between USAID Education leadership and the field, in coordination with the Knowledge Management Team and Regional Bureaus.
- Identify ways to highlight project results to key stakeholders, including reports to Congress, social media and fact sheets.
- Support USAID Missions through technical assistance in development of education-related communications campaigns at the country level.
Other Tasks (10%)
- Support the office in general administrative tasks related to education, planning for staff meetings, internal presentations.
- Provide technical advice in communications and guide program staff to enhance their communication skills, such as developing communications strategies, writing web stories, preparing PowerPoint presentations, developing success stories, photography, etc.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Master’s degree and a minimum 4 years experience in communications, marketing, media relations or a combination, OR Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 6 years experience required. Prior work experience in international development, government, and/or education preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic communications planning, program management and implementation within a developing country or resource-poor context.
- Team player with proven skills in working effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated effective writing skills to produce compelling, high-quality copy on relevant topics for diverse communication products including: talking points, reports, speeches, briefing materials, and communications tools (op-eds, blogs, letters, copy for promotional materials, and other correspondence)
- High level of judgment, ingenuity and originality to develop strategies, analyze situations, and constructively solve challenges.
- Knowledge of current issues in global education and international development.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with limited supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including ability to write technical documents and give state-of-the-art presentations to colleagues in and outside of USAID.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
- Ability to interact and communicate with people from different backgrounds and cultures with a high degree of diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to multi-task and maintain professionalism under tight deadlines in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite, Google Apps, Adobe Creative Suite
- Some proficiency in Video Development, Distribution List/Newsletter Software, Hootsuite, HTML, CSS, Wordpress, and Drupal
- Ability to obtain and maintain SECRET level security clearance is required.
About the Organization
Are you looking for a company that offers meaningful program assignments and opportunities to develop professional skills and expertise? At Dexis, staff are empowered to be part of the decision-making process and collaborate with colleagues and management across the company to satisfy our clients. We create transparency in our operations with our clients and employees; and we offer our people opportunities to grow and challenge themselves in meaningful ways. Dexis follows a "find a way or make a way" business directive, and we’re paving the way for innovative management solutions in the global development and security assistance arenas worldwide. As a Dexis employee you will be challenged, empowered, and mentored. That’s how Dexis goes "all in.” How will you?
If you are passionate about this opportunity, submit your application by clicking the apply for this job online button.
Only those applicants who meet the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.