Education Finance Expert, Ministry of Education Institutional Capacity Assessment, Libya
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Libya’s education sector is facing many challenges related to enrollment rates, the quality, inclusivity, and relevance of education, and disparities between regions, all of which are exacerbated by ongoing conflict. The Libyan Ministry of Education (MOE) is working with the United States Agency for International Development to prioritize reforms to its education sector. Libyan MOE leadership has stressed that the success of Libya’s next generation, and hence the future of the nation, hinges on key education sector reforms that cannot wait for stabilization to occur. The MOE is eager to deliver on key education reforms critical to Libya’s future and to rebuild its status among countries meeting Sustainable Development Goals.
Given these challenges, the MOE is working with USAID and SI to conduct a management and administration institutional capacity assessment, which will help to prioritize strategic starting points that will close the gap between ambitions and reality and strengthen education delivery. The institutional capacity assessment will focus on six areas of the Ministry’s capacity:
- Education information and communication technology (ICT)
- Education research, monitoring and evaluation
- School inspection and supervision
- Education finance
- Education human resources management
- Education strategic planning and policy
*** Due to current U.S. State Department travel restrictions, we are unable to consider any U.S. citizens for this position. However, U.S. citizens who are dual passport holders of another country will be considered. ***
SI is recruiting an Education Finance Expert to serve on a six-person assessment team with complementary areas of expertise. Each team member will have expertise in at least one of the six focal areas listed above and will report to a Team Leader. This position is a short-term consultancy, conducting an institutional capacity assessment of the Libyan Ministry of Education. The timeline and level of effort are still being determined, but roughly expect this assessment to begin in January, with approximately 3-5 weeks of fieldwork inside Libya between mid-late January and March. The current estimated level of effort for this position is 50 days.
The Education Finance Expert will be responsible for assessing the capacity of MOE systems and personnel to:
- Design and manage a strategic human resource management system;
- Write, update, disseminate, and enforce HR policies and procedures;
- Rationalize and deploy staff and faculty based on accurate and up-to-date data.
- Conduct staff and teacher recruitment that meets the needs of the education system;
- Manage and enforce an instructional and leadership staff licensure system, and coordinate with universities and other teacher and administrator training programs;
- Meet the staffing requirements of high-needs and/or hard-to-staff schools,
- Address staffing challenges in certain fields (such as STEM) and high teacher turnover;
- Design and provide professional development systems that meet the needs of the educational workforce
- Collect, store, and manage data on all MOE employees and volunteers in an up-to-date HR management information system that is integrated with the school and pupil information systems.
- Provide technical expertise and support to the Team Leader’s efforts in assessment design, methodology, and data collection instruments.
- Schedule and facilitate key informant interviews and other qualitative data collection methods.
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data.
- Support the preparation and presentation of the key findings and recommendations to USAID and MOE.
- Write assigned section of the draft assessment report in coordination with the Team Leader and other team members, taking into consideration feedback from the preliminary findings presentation.
- Support the revision process to develop a final report, responding to feedback from USAID and MOE stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise.
- Support the MOE after the assessment to implement recommendations, including developing action plans and strategies.
- Advanced degree (Master’s required, PhD preferred) in Economics, Education Finance, Public Financial Management, or similar field.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience in:
- Designing, managing, and/or evaluating financial and accounting systems and technologies for large national or public government entities.
- Public financial management including budgeting, forecasting, and performance tracking for large national or public government entities.
- Financial compliance and auditing for large national or public government entities.
- Experience conducting institutional capacity assessments or evaluations strongly preferred.
- Prior experience conducting qualitative interviews and analyzing qualitative data.
- Strong writing and analytical skills and demonstrated ability to produce high quality written deliverables.
- English fluency required, Arabic speaking fluency preferred.
- Experience in Libya or North African Arabic-speaking countries preferred.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.