Requisition ID: req1875
Job Title: Education Program Coordinator
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to all those forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been active in Yemen since 2012, and currently operates in eight governorates in the south and north of Yemen through direct programming and through local partnership, in Health, Environmental Health, Nutrition, Economic Recovery Development and Women Protection and Empowerment.
SUMMARY STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
In anticipation of expected funding, IRC Yemen is seeking to recruit an Education Coordinator.
The Education Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all Education programming provided by the IRC in Yemen. She/he will provide technical and managerial leadership and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs. This position is based in in Sana with regular travel to Aden. The Education Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director of Programs, and is supported by the HQ-based Education Technical Unit.
* Coordinate with the Deputy Director of Programs to develop and implement a response to assessed Education needs in accordance with the country program strategic plan.
* Oversight of the technical aspects of the implementation and coordination of the Education program.
* Ensure that all IRC Yemen Education projects are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to established objectives, goals and indicators and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs
* Lead the education team in the development, implementation and monitoring of work plans, ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and the community.
* Ensure all implementation plans employ a programming approach that integrates the needs of other sectors of work.
Reporting and proposal development
* Ensure the timely submission of information for internal and donor reports for all Education activities, including reporting against the logical framework.
* In accordance with the country program strategic plan, IRC program framework and IRC Education strategies, lead the development of the Education sector in new funding opportunities, including developing logical frameworks.
* Lead and coordinate the development of Education budgets, including when required the revision and realignment of existing budgets.
* Review all reports and proposals prepared by Education staff, provide appropriate feedback to staff, and ensure that quality reports are written and submitted in a timely manner.
* Ensure all Education programs are delivered to the required standard, on time and within budget.
* Monitor Budget vs. Actual expenditure for Education programs on a monthly basis, ensuring timely corrective action is taken to address any variances.
* Actively participate in Grant Management Meetings and ensure resulting actions are followed up.
Monitoring & Evaluation
* Select and implement appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems, analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality.
* Evaluate field needs for technical interventions and make recommendations as needed.
* Monitor and evaluate appropriate implementation of technical projects against program objectives and IRC’s Program Framework during field monitoring visits.
* Ensure all Education programs operate appropriate client voice and response mechanism.
Staff Management & Development
* Manage and supervise all staff on the Education team;
* Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions;
* Overall responsibility for staff timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
Coordination & Representation
* In coordination with the Deputy Director of Programs, establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries in the area of operation;
* Regularly attend Education Working Group meetings and represent the IRC in other relevant forums;
* Upon request by the Country Management Team, organize and facilitate field visits for stakeholders interested in IRC’s Education programming.
* Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
* Liaise regularly with the relevant HQ technical units.
* Advanced degree in Education, social sciences, international development or other related field
* Minimum of 5 years professional experience in implementation of Education programming in humanitarian or development contexts and community development programme.
* Proven experience working in emergency contexts
* Proven experience building capacity on technical and non-technical (budget, HR, reports) skills and knowledge
* Prior international experience working in emergency settings or insecure environments; regional or in-country experience preferred.
* Strong program/technical and budget management skills
* Good understanding and experience in managing donor funded project esp USAID.
* Solid experience with planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
* Thorough understanding of gender-based violence response protocols and service provision.
* Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties
* Must be capable of applying skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, advisory functions, training and the transfer of technical knowledge and management skills to others
* Proven track record in working with teams, showing high performance in a multi-cultural environment, demonstrating flexibility, and able to handle pressure with professional grace.
* Fluency in English required; Arabic an asset.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in The IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Work Environment: There is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility of the conflict expanding into other locations. The situation in Sana’a is currently quiet but remains unpredictable. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Housing: Lodging in Sana’a and Aden is in shared IRC guesthouse. All IRC sites have electricity and internet. Food is the individual’s responsibility.