Position: Education Specialist, Investing in the Liberated Universities of Ninewa
Location: Erbil, Iraq
Period of Performance: Two Years
Summary of Position
IREX seeks qualified Education Specialist candidates for an anticipated two-year $15 million project to build the capacity of the Universities of Mosul, Ninewa, and Hamdaniya to provide educational and economic opportunities to affected populations. This project will include the development of needs assessments with each university in addition to capacity building programs, linkages with American universities, curricula that focus on preparing students to meet the needs of the Iraqi economy, and the purchase of related equipment and educational materials. It will also include faculty exchange programs to foster collaboration and information sharing with American partner universities, as well as the development of English language education.
The position is contingent on funding. Only citizens or permanent residents of Iraq will be considered.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- In conjunction with the Senior Project Manager and Project Director, develop and implement a plan of activities to meet project objectives
- Develop strong relationships with senior leadership of the Universities of Mosul, Ninewa and Hamdaniya and with private sector partners
- Oversee day-to-day activities of the project implementation team
- Ensure compliance with donor and IREX guidelines and protocols
- Coordinate with local, regional and international organizations active in the education sector
- Manage and mentor project staff
- Coordinate with IREX home office
- Oversee project budgeting and ensure budget discipline
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting on project activities
Skills and Qualifications:
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of Iraq
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant or a related field is required, such as education, public administration, or economics; Master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated technical expertise in higher education, including faculty training and development as well as curriculum development
- In-depth knowledge of the Iraqi higher education sector and of the regional employment market for university graduates
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience working on international donor-funded education programs in Iraq
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including governments, private sector, higher educational institutions, schools, donors, etc.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Must be fluent in English and Arabic
Go to https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=ojtb8fwP&s=Devex to submit your CV for consideration.
About the Organization
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.