Kiribati Education Improvement Program Phase III
Education Strategic Planning and Policy Adviser
- Strategic education specialist to contribute to The Ministry of Education’s long-term education planning and development for Kiribati (Pacific)
- Contract through to December 2019. The ideal start date is July 2018.
- The program is looking for the best available candidate so is flexible in order to attract the right person. There is an option to negotiate a long term, full-time arrangement or to provide support to the Ministry through substantial short term periodic inputs in Kiribati.
- Inputs based in Tarawa, Kiribati with travel to Outer Islands as required
On behalf of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Coffey is managing the delivery of support and technical assistance to the Kiribati Ministry of Education (MoE) as part of the Kiribati Education Improvement Program (KEIP) Phase III. We support the MoE with the implementation of a comprehensive reform program focused on children in Kiribati having access to inclusive, quality basic education. This includes support through a large school infrastructure component, pre-service and in-service teacher training, curriculum development, support to school leadership as well as technical support to MoE Executive.
The Education Strategic Planning and Policy Adviser will provide high quality technical and advisory assistance, through a planned program of capacity development and mentoring, to the Ministry of Education Executive Management and Directors in planning, management and reporting. Responsibilities will also include:
- Supporting Executive Management to strengthen performance and decision making in order to manage Kiribati’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) strategies and commitments within time and budget constraints;
- Supporting implementation of Regulations of the Education Act 2013 and development of appropriate policies, processes and instructions, including for the proposed Teacher Registration and Teaching Standards;
- Supporting the Executive Management team to build their leadership and policy management capability.
The ideal candidate will be qualified to at least Masters level, with relevant education qualifications, combined with extensive experience in delivering high-level strategic advice on evidence-based planning, financial planning, policy development and implementation in an educational context. Deep insight into the education and training sector and an understanding of education reform challenges will be required, ideally in the Pacific. Candidates will need to demonstrate success in coaching and mentoring senior professional colleagues, along with an ability to engage and work effectively with people from various cultures and disciplines. Previous experience working in Kiribati or the Pacific will be well regarded as will contemporary experience in education planning and management at a senior level. A preparedness to work with limited resources and within a challenging environment will also be required.
This position is classified as Category C, Level 3 under the DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework. Please visit http://dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Documents/adviser-remuneration-framework-2016.pdf for further detail.
How to apply:
For a detailed position description and to apply for this position, please visit www.coffey.com/careers, click on ‘career opportunities’ and search for the job reference number 497175
Applications close 6.00pm (Kiribati time) Monday 25th June 2018
For further enquiries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is managed by Coffey, a Tetra Tech company on behalf of the Australian Government.
Coffey is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.
About the Organization
Coffey has a 40 year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK's Department for International Development. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people's lives.