PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Education Technical Advisor is responsible for strategic development and quality oversight of the Education Sector across all WV South Sudan operations and department functions. This includes strategic leadership and external engagement to continue to build and strengthen WV South Sudan’s Education portfolio, identify and realize new resourcing opportunities for Education programming, and provide technical oversight to ensure quality Education programming that meets and exceeds INEE Minimum Standards, and other key international standards. The Education Technical Advisor should take leadership of national and international advocacy for strengthening Education in South Sudan, specifically contributing to WV South Sudan’s national campaign It Takes A Nation to Protect the Future Generation, an advocacy campaign explicitly seeking to promote the protection of children.
Technical support shall include development and review of quality project design, indicators / targets and budget development; input to project start up and implementation strategy for Education projects; input and review of external assessment, baseline or evaluation TORs and Education related procurement requests / requirements for projects; required reporting and review; field level quality monitoring of Education interventions; conduct or support training to strengthen field level Education staff capacity and quality of programming. In addition to conducting training, the position has an explicit mentorship and coaching responsibility to build national technical staff capacity in Education sector technical supervision.
This position is also responsible for providing active participation on behalf of WV South Sudan in all Education related coordination forums, including technical working groups, across the humanitarian and development nexus in South Sudan.
- Provide strategic leadership to Education related external engagement for the purposes of advocacy, programme development, dissemination of learnings and best practices, and demonstration of thought leadership in key Education themes (at national, regional and supporting global engagement as this pertains to South Sudan).
- Policy & Advocacy: Prove leadership and/or participate in national level Education policy development and advocacy to promote realization of improved Education for girls and boys in South Sudan; Liaise with WV Partnership to support regional and global Education P&A with evidence based learnings and key messaging; Support the Senior Protection, Gender & Advocacy Advisor in the It Takes A Nation advocacy campaign to end violence against children.
- Support PDQA Team in program design, proposal development and quality assurance (assessment, monitoring, evaluation tool development / review and conducting of rapid assessments).
- Cluster Coordination: Represent WV at the Education Cluster and all related technical working groups; Actively participate and where possible provide leadership in other Education forums (i.e. GESS); Ensure timely submission of Education 5Ws and national field updates for Education activities on a monthly basis, along with any other information requested ad hoc by the Education Cluster and other Education-related coordination forums.
- Provide technical support during implementation to Project Managers to ensure Education programming comply with international and national minimum standards and best practices. This should include recruitment of project-specific Education personnel, technical inputs into assessment or monitoring tools, facilitation of trainings as required by project designs, technical inputs to develop IEC materials / messages, selection of GIK items to support programming, guidance for appropriate implementation strategies that are both child-friendly and mitigate risks of child rights violations and incidence of GBV, etc. Technical support should be provided remotely and at field level in person.
- Develop and rollout mentorship and coaching plans for national Education staff to promote capacity building in technical supervision. This should include developing /updating / contextualizing South Sudan-specific TOT and training packages in key Education models, checklists for quality monitoring, recruitment tools, etc.
- Any other related duties as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education related field.
- Master’s Degree and/or Professional Teaching Qualification strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of field level experience in Education in Emergencies technical supervision and support.
- Completion of certificate courses or otherwise demonstrating experience in key EIE and Education in development minimum standards, programming models and best practices (i.e INEE Minimum Standards, Sphere Standards, UNICEF Education models). Experience should include qualification as a trainer for all Education models and/or methodologies, including pedagogy; development and/or contextualization of curricula for ECD, ALP, vocational training, etc.
- Certificate courses or demonstration of field level experience in integrated child protection programming in Education (i.e. Child Friendly Spaces, ECD curriculum, Vocational training for economic reintegration of children of concern, CP and GBV Mainstreaming in Education) strongly preferred.
- Experience in external engagement, Education policy development, advocacy for children’s rights to Education and improvement of Education services strongly preferred.
- Experience working in South Sudan strongly preferred; successful candidate must have a minimum of 2 years hardship / humanitarian context.
- Excellent analytical and written skills, and strong computer skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English; working knowledge of Arabic and other languages spoken in South Sudan an asset.
- Additional qualities: ability to multi-task, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, adaptability to transition.
- Work environment: National Office
- Travel: 30% domestic travels is required
About the Organization
The World Vision Partnership is a global community of people passionately committed to improving the lives and futures of the world’s most vulnerable children.
We believe that every child is a precious gift to the entire world and that their well-being concerns us all. We will not rest while children suffer in situations that can be changed. We are looking for people who share our beliefs and our passion.