Macro-Economic Stabilization and Reform (MESR) Activity
Budget Transparency / Open Budget Advisor STTA
25 Days LOE
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
MESR Project Background:
The Macro-Economic Stabilization and Reform (MESR) Activity provides technical assistance, capacity building, and training to relevant stakeholders and counterparts in Egypt in order to promote macroeconomic stability by improving the process of capital expenditure planning, control and monitoring; upgrading the effectiveness of public financial management; and developing skills for expanding public private dialogue to promote better policy and regulatory reforms addressing macroeconomic imbalances. Stakeholders and counterparts include the Ministry of Finance (MOF), the Ministry of Planning, Monitoring and Administrative Reform (MPMAR), business associations, other private sector representatives, as well as other Government of Egypt (GOE) agencies and international organizations working in the area of macroeconomic stabilization.
The MESR project is seeking a Budget Transparency Advisor for a short-term (25 days) technical assistance assignment expected to commence in June 2019. The Budget Transparency Advisor will: review the capacity of the MOF Fiscal Transparency and Citizen Engagement (FTCE) Unit and, based on this review, design a technical assistance plan for the Unit; support the FTCE Unit in budget communication activities, including activities aimed to improve Egypt’s ranking on the Open Budget Index; recommend changes in the organizational structure and staff functions of the FTCE Unit based on international best practices applicable to budget transparency units; and provide direct operational support to the FTCE Unit in defined areas. If the Budget Transparency Advisor has the requisite skills and qualifications, he/she will provide training on fiscal risk fundamentals to FTCE Unit staff and possibly staff from other MOF units. If requested and if time permits, the Budget Transparency Advisor will provide support to other GOE budget units. Whenever possible, the Budget Transparency Advisor will promote collaboration between the MOF and MPMAR through budget transparency activities.
Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
- Review the capacity of FTCE Unit and, based on this review, design a technical assistance plan for the Unit.
- Support the FTCE in budget communication activities, including activities aimed to improve Egypt’s ranking on the Open Budget Index.
- Recommend changes in the organizational structure and staff functions of the FTCE Unit based on international best practices applicable to budget transparency units.
- Provide direct operational support to the FTCE Unit in defined areas.
- If the Budget Transparency Advisor has the requisite skills and qualifications, provide training on fiscal risk fundamentals to FTCE Unit staff and possibly staff from other MOF units.
- If requested and if time permits, provide support to other GOE budget units.
- Whenever possible, promote collaboration between the MOF and MPMAR through budget transparency activities.
- Additional tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, public policy or related field applicable to budget transparency. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience designing and implementing budget communications initiatives.
- Experience working with representatives of government budget transparency units.
- Experience working on the Open Budget Index preferred.
- Experience providing fiscal risk training preferred.
- Experience working on technical assistance projects funded by the World Bank, IMF, USAID or other donor organizations preferred.
- Effective communication and writing skills.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.
Location and Reporting:
The Budget Transparency Advisor will be based in Cairo, Egypt and will report to the MESR PFM Team Lead.